UKC

Climbing in Vietnam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BrianT 25 Apr 2014
My stepdaughter just messaged me to ask if there are any good places to climb in Vietnam. She's on a year-long trip around SE Asia and is highly mobile so willing to go anywhere in VN. Does anyone know of a good place or a good source of info I can point her to?
 Offwidth 25 Apr 2014
In reply to BrianT:

Try contacting Dave Lucas

http://expeditionconsultancy.com

He runs commercial trips but he is a good guy and also gives tips on the areas he visits.

OP BrianT 25 Apr 2014
In reply to BrianT:

Cheers Offwidth.
Andywalters 25 Apr 2014
In reply to BrianT:

I was in Dalat last summer and remember seeing plenty of travel agent type shops with climbing gear in them. So there is obviously a crag nearby. Didn't ask about it as I was with non climbing mates and only stopping for a few days. Nice place too.
 Dred 25 Apr 2014
In reply to BrianT:

Was in VN with my girlfriend in Jan, we headed to Cat Ba island, about 4.5hr journey from Hanoi. Check Asia Outdoors (formerly Slo Pony) Their website has all access and crag info for the area. They have Gear to hire and Organised trips, We had our own gear and were pretty independent but they were still happy to help. unfortunately tides were wrong while we were there so no DWS for us but looks amazing. definitely worth it if she's in the area.
 rickeden 28 Apr 2014
In reply to BrianT:

contact www.vietclimb.com
In reply to BrianT:

u can contact me : www.visavietnam.net.vn
www.dichvuvisagap.com
Add : 212/29 Nguyen Thai Binh , Ward 12 , Tan Binh district,Ho Chi Minh city,Viet Nam
Hotline : (84) 903 709 178 Mrs Hanh
(84) 988 512 577 Ms An
 1234None 28 Apr 2014
In reply to BrianT:

The obvious choice would be the Ha Long Bay area - DWS, plus some bolted stuff at Butterfly Valley on Cat Ba island.

There are bits of climbing elsewhere, but not that much from what I know. Mostly just a few crags that have been developed by locals for top-roping. We explored the far south around Ha Tien (close to the Cambodian border) as we had seen some pics that suggested there may be DWS. Unfortunately the water was very shallow, and the rock had been mostly blasted apart for quarrying. A really interesting cultural experience though, and easy to cross over into the Kep area of Cambodia from Ha Tien.

Basically, Ha Long Bay is the short answer!
 dti 28 Apr 2014
In reply to 1234None:

Again cat Ba island is the place to be. Easy to find partners, some cheap accommodation and food. Plenty of other travellers when I was there for drinking in the evening. Was there in sept, perfect weather for it.

Asia outdoors are the people there to contact for advice and were very helpful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...