UKC

/ Climbing near Kirby lonsdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
wookie667 on 12 Apr 2018

Hi going on trip to Kirby Lonsdale next week hoping to do some climbing while im there. I will be climbing with my girlfriend so preferably quality easier routes. Any recommendations are welcome. I also need a Guide book any suggestions where i could get one locally? Thanks

GrahamD - on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to wookie667:

Twistleton Scar might be worth a look.  Or Hutton Roof for very easy stuff.  

lionel - on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to wookie667:

Yorkshire Limestone area starts less than 10 miles from KL (Robin Proctor scar has quality easier routes). Lancashire rock, Carnforth area starts 5 miles from KL (Hutton Roof is a pretty, limestone crag with short routes).

And then there is the Lake District just 25-30 miles away!

Plenty to go at if you have a car. If not, you can get a bus fro KL to Clapham or Austwick for Robin Proctor scar.

richlan - on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to wookie667:

On a sunny evening you can't beat Hutton Roof (well, you can but not within 10 minutes of Kirkby Lonsdale)

wookie667 on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to richlan:

Thanks for the replies will check it out. Which guide book is it in? can you get it on rockfax app?

bedspring on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to wookie667:

Depends what you call easy, but if she can second VS try this Trowbarrow

petegunn on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to wookie667:

Hutton Roof and Trowbarrow are in the Lancashire Guide

Proctor's is in the Northern Limestone Rock Fax guide so this might be on the app

Ex Poster 666 on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to wookie667:

Don't forget to go here: http://devilsbridgesnacks.com/

paul_the_northerner - on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to wookie667:

Twistleton scar is a great venue loads of routes solid rock. Good for trad and tope roping

Hutton Roof has an awesome atmosphere (though some routes are badly polished), good for bouldering and short trad. Free guidebook on lakesbloc:

http://www.lakesbloc.com/lakes-bouldering-guides/

Trowbarrow near Carnforth is great for longer Trad routes, also worth checking out Giggleswick if you want to clip some bolts.

As for proper guidebooks, Inglesport in ingleton is the nearest climbing shop. Its got some knowledgeable staff and a good selection of guidebooks. They also run a indoor wall which is surprisingly good considering the size of the village (or at least it was when I was a climbing there)

bedspring on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to wookie667:

PS this is a bit clunky, but worth percy veering with if for a first trip http://lancashirerock.co.uk/gb/results.php?step=2 but with all the crags mentioned I would check the BMC Rad before setting off

GrahamD - on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to petegunn:

> Hutton Roof and Trowbarrow are in the Lancashire Guide

> Proctor's is in the Northern Limestone Rock Fax guide so this might be on the app

as is Trowbarrow.

petegunn on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

So it is : )

Caitlin - on 16 Apr 2018
In reply to bedspring:

Jean Genie? Best VS at the crag.

Don't pick anything without stars though ou you'll end up in a choss fest!!

From what I remember the RSPB place had a decent café when you get tired

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.