UKC

Conditions GlenCoe and Ben Nevis climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 trying.soft 25 May 2023

So I was wondering if anyone has been climbing, or has been able to have to have a look, around Slime Wall in Glencoe (Bludgers Revelation) and CD Buttress in Ben Nevis (The Bat / Bullroar). 

Slime wall has a reputation to be slow drying, as I have experienced on Shibboleth, and Bullroar traverses the whole face, so if there are any patches anywhere, chances are the route will cross them. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

dominic o 25 May 2023
In reply to trying.soft:

Climbed June Climb today (opposite Slime Wall) and took this pic of a team on Bludgers. Looked like the occasional damp patch rather than dripping (and I've never seen it completely dry). With the forecast set fair for the next week I'd say get on it!

A few pics from an ascent of Apparition plus the “True Finish” to Shibboleth from a couple of years ago here: https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2021/07/23/buachaille-etive-mor-slime-wall...

Hope that's helpful! Cheers, Dom 

OP trying.soft 25 May 2023
In reply to trying.soft:

That's great, thanks for that!

Yeah I'm aware that the start of thise routes is perma-dry. I was thwre last August after the long heat wave and the start of Shibboleth was still soaked. 

Looks like the top of Bludgers is pretty dry, and knowing that May/July cracks are right there for the taking gives us a good plan B if the bottom looks too bad. 

Much appreciated 

ralphio 25 May 2023
In reply to trying.soft:

We climbed Centurion today. Pitch 2 and 6 bit damp but perfectly climbable.

martin09 26 May 2023
In reply to trying.soft:

west face of Aonach Dubh was perfect / dry yesterday but some rain forecast over weekend before dry all next week

OP trying.soft 26 May 2023
In reply to martin09:

Did July Crack, Bludgers and May crack, all today. Only P2 of blidgers was a bit wet, but manageable. 

Thanks for the heads up, everyone 

dominic o 27 May 2023
In reply to trying.soft:

Sounds like a good day! Glad to be of service Cheers, Dom 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...