UKC

Cornwall + rain = ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alex505c 24 Jul 2021

Heading to Cornwall on Monday through next weekend. Looking like a blustery week, so I'm wondering which crags are the quickest-drying, and which routes (if any) "go" in the damp. 

I'll be staying in Sennen, and am usually happy leading HVS. 

I've heard that Kenidjack (Saxon (HVS 5a) in particular) is like glass when wet, but actually dries very quickly? 

Conversely, I've heard that Bosigran holds more moisture than other cliffs?

I've already done Commando Ridge and Land's End Long Climb, but would not be totally averse to repeating them if they are amenable in the damp.

Post edited at 10:34
 GrahamD 24 Jul 2021
In reply to alex505c:

In general, granite goes better than kills or greenstone in the wet (so Sennen, Bosi etc).  However the kilas (eg Saxon) does dry pretty quickly so doable not that long after rain.

Derry 24 Jul 2021
In reply to alex505c:

cornwall + rain = go surfing.

but seriously, I've tried to climb at Bosi after rain and had a waterfall of seepage through the first pitch of Doorpost. In hindsight it does mention that in my guidebook.

Jamie Wakeham 24 Jul 2021
In reply to alex505c:

What Graham said.  Killas is basically a type of slate.  Also don't forget that the weather can be remarkably different on the North and South coasts!

Toby_W 24 Jul 2021
In reply to alex505c: Swim and beach, the water is lovely at the moment.  On the coast you may get sun when it’s wet inland and I’ve left my parents in Gweek in hail and rain to blazing sun shine on the north coast, it often bounces north/south.

Best of luck

Toby

Trangia 24 Jul 2021
In reply to alex505c:

I know that it's not the answer to what you are asking, but I have been in some very foul weather in Cornwall where coastal walking can provide some great alternatives to climbing. It can get really wild with spectacular seas crashing against the cliffs, so it's worth packing your wet weather gear, just in case

Have a great hol and I sincerely hope that you don't have to fall back on that alternative, but it's better than doing nothing.

Tom Last 24 Jul 2021
In reply to alex505c:

Yeah, as previous poster said, better to go swimming or surfing. The water is warmer than it has been in many years for the time of year and the has been very little incoming swell so it is also crystal clear in places.

Places like Bosi will dry quick since they face the prevailing wind, more than as a result of being granite. Granite is as minging to climb as any type of rock in the wet unfortunately. Lots of other cliffs that will dry quick after rain, Trewavas for example.

If you're happy bouldering then look to tidal venues since they get wet twice a day anyway, so obvs dry quick, Godrevy being a good example of this.

Good luck. The forecast might look a bit ming at the moment, but it probably won't be wall to wall mizzle; probably. 

lorentz 25 Jul 2021
In reply to alex505c:

If its sheeting down and all else fails, bail and go to the Eden Project... Or there's Granite Planet, in Falmouth. Enjoy. Cornwall is better in the rain. Get a rainswept beach all to yourself!  

Lankyman 25 Jul 2021
In reply to alex505c:

Cornwall + rain = cream + tea

pete3685 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Jam first!

Sean Kelly 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Derry:

> cornwall + rain = go surfing.

> but seriously, I've tried to climb at Bosi after rain and had a waterfall of seepage through the first pitch of Doorpost. In hindsight it does mention that in my guidebook.

Done it about 4 times and never had that first pitch dry, but it is delightful climbing.

Post edited at 13:42
 tehmarks 25 Jul 2021
In reply to lorentz:

I tried both of these options the other week. Can highly recommend Granite Planet — lovely and incredibly friendly local wall with some cool routes, even if they are a bit height-limited.

bouldery bits 25 Jul 2021
In reply to pete3685:

> Jam first!

Cream

On

First

Lankyman 25 Jul 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Cream

> On

> First

Up north we put butter on ours. Southern savages!

pete3685 25 Jul 2021

Not this side of the Tamar, it isnt

In reply to pete3685:

> Not this side of the Tamar, it isnt

Indeed. The people over in 'West Devon' are very odd.

In reply to Lankyman:

> Up north we put butter on ours. Southern savages!

That's all wrong.

Iamgregp 26 Jul 2021

"Scon" or "Scown" though?

Post edited at 15:37
In reply to alex505c:

A damp Charlie?

Toby_W 26 Jul 2021

You mean England?

😮😉

Toby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...