UKC

Costa Blanca 1958 video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 May 2020

Anybody who loves the Blanca check this video out from 1958 - 4-6 mins for the places you might recognise - amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVuKFwc9Alg&feature=share

Chris

John Cuthbert 15 May 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I drove thru in the summer of '85 and it wasn't that different to the film. I'm tempted to ask; what have we done?

John C

OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 May 2020

I never realised that the narrow bridge in the Mascarat was used by traffic in my lifetime!

Chris

Bulls Crack 15 May 2020
In reply to John Cuthbert:

Yes - a fiesta of concrete    

heleno 15 May 2020
In reply to John Cuthbert:

> what have we done?

Absolutely.  I actually found the film heartbreaking to watch.  I thought that a lot of beauty and wildness had been destroyed since I started climbing on the Blanca in 1990, but that's nothing to what must have been lost in the previous 30 years.

But like John says, we're part of the problem.

David Riley 15 May 2020
In reply to heleno:

> But like John says, we're part of the problem.

Not altogether.  Climbers add value to retaining the landscape and apply pressure when it is threatened.

Lankyman 15 May 2020

Makes you want to weep. Those ladies missed a trick though. Just think of all the new routes they could have done if they'd packed the drill.

Wonderful ! Thanks for posting this. I was there in 1960 and it is how I remember it. 

The Lake District Planning  Board gets a lot of flak for being over conservative- but looking at this makes me grateful that places like Eskdale- where I was born- is still pretty much the same as it was then

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...