UKC

Croatia car hire - which company?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Kemp 18 Jun 2019

As above - flying into Zadar, looking for a small/medium family car. There are a lot of companies listed for the airport and I've no knowledge of most of them, so is a broker the best idea?

In reply to Bob Kemp:

I usually use Avis or Eurocar. A problem with Europcar is that they are linked to EasyJet so that a large proportion of renters who come off EasyJet flights use them - which means long and rather slow queues at the rental car kiosks. The cars are generally very good, but be aware that the companies usually place a big deposit on your credit/debit card and that there is also an extra charge for taking rental cars onto the ferries.

Martin Bennett 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

We went to Croatia last September flying not to Zadar but to Split. I rented our car, as I always do, through the on-line broker Auto-Europe (not to be confused with Europcar which is a car rental company and, incidentally, by no means my favourite). On this occasion Auto-Europe used local supplier Nova to provide the car and we had no problems at all, unless you count getting a Passat rather than the stated Octavia.

I hire cars perhaps 6 or 7 times a year. I never go direct to the end supplier but almost always use Auto-Europe as over the years they have proved themselves the most responsive and helpful when it becomes necessary to challenge an unexpected charge to one's credit card. They're in USA but freephone and usually very good on the phone whether booking, checking or challenging.

Graeme G 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Mmm......wish I'd heard this a few weeks ago. Booked through rentalcars in Split for July. Using Oryx, never heard of them but online reviews seem ok.

Does using Auto-Europe carry a premium?

Martin Bennett 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

Not generally I find, they're most competitive and like others offer a range of options from bottom to top of the market, which itself is volatile and prices vary enormously from place to place and from time to time. I always insist on a full tank to full tank rental and have my own annual excess refund insurance cover which most often saves a lot, though offers including it turn up sometimes. They also offer free cancellation up to a day or two of the start date. Maybe Rentalcars do too? Good luck with it - car rental can be the most stressful part of the trip!

OP Bob Kemp 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Thanks for the replies so far - very useful.

Stairclimber 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I am currently in Croatia and driving a new car from Goldcar. I know this company has had several  poor reviews in the past, but I have always been happy with them, in Spain and Greece.

What may be of interest to you is that the queues for other companies at Split last Sunday were enormous.

Graeme G 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Stairclimber:

> What may be of interest to you is that the queues for other companies at Split last Sunday were enormous.

Airport? Or City?

Heading there soon 🤞

cragtyke 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I've found holidayautos to be very good as well, also free cancellation, plus about 10%cashback on Quidco.

They also send offers through, and you may be able to rebook at a lower price and cancel your original booking . Just saved myself £70 doing this, refund was processed in 3 days.

Check the details for hidden costs like cross border charges etc.

Stairclimber 21 Jun 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

The airport.

As we came through Arrivals, all of the desks had queues of at least 10 deep.

Goldcar booth is just outside the exit doors to the airport, with a 300m walk to the cars afterwards..

We've done hardly any climbing on Hvar as it's been so hot, but great beaches.

If you do drive over to Hvar,  the ferry requires queueing in the heat, so prepare for getting roasted for a couple of hours.

There is a gem of a place with a shady crag, 5 min approach and wonderful swimming at Velika Stiniva, but you need to be climbing above 6b really.

Graeme G 22 Jun 2019
In reply to Stairclimber:

Ta. I’ll just have to face the queues 😩

Thanks for heads up re:Hvar. Family holiday so will probably only get a day (morning) climbing at Majar. May just visit Hvar as a wee day trip 😀

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...