UKC

Dachstein-Steinerweg info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dori79 13 Oct 2019

Hello,

I have few questions about the Steinerweg route. Which month is the best to climb that route? Can I go to the starting point without crampons and ice axe? What is the best way to descent ( without using the cabel car)? 

Thanks in advance for any info, Dora 

tjekel 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Dori79:

Best time is from end June/beginning of July to September. Usually, but not always, crossing the snowfield is ok without crampons, but this is dependent on the seasons snowfall and specific conditions. Usually reliable information is to be had at the hut.

Shortest descent still is down to the cable car, around to Hunerscharte, and down the easy ferata back to Südwandhütte.

beardy mike 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Dori79:

When I did it a few years ago, the approach was a scramble to the start, no crampons or axe required, (although it was darned steep! Maybe we didn't have the right info though as we were walking straight up a scree slope). The top is a bit vauge in its line and we got a bit lost and wasted time. We made it with enough time to get to the cable car with a bit of a jog. I seem to remember I had shorts and trainers on crossing the glacier which seemed completely non technical. But of course as tjekel says, it depends on the year and the precise week you go! Can't help with a non cable car descent... I guess reverse the VF?

tjekel 18 Oct 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

It is not the big ferrata ('johann'), but walking around to the top station of the cable car and then Hunerscharte. 

OP Dori79 21 Oct 2019
In reply to tjekel:

Thank you so much for the info  

OP Dori79 21 Oct 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Thank you very much  

OP Dori79 21 Oct 2019
In reply to tjekel:

Maybe the Sky Walk Klettersteig? 

tjekel 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Dori79:

No... The Hunerschartensteig back to Südwandhütte. Easy ferata first then scree slopes. 

OP Dori79 22 Oct 2019
In reply to tjekel:

I got it now, thanks  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...