UKC

Dentelles de Montmirail access / parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LynseyJ 25 May 2023

Has anyone been to Dentelles recently? It's on my short-list for July but I keep seeing that access into the Dentelles by car is now permanently banned. No problem for access on foot.

I can't find any info on what this actually involves though... Where is the closest place you can get to and how much of a walk in are we talking about?

Thanks all

jon 25 May 2023
In reply to LynseyJ:

Depends which part of the Dentelles you want to get to. For  Chaine de Gigondas (Dentelles de Montmirail) and  Chaine du Grand Travers (Dentelles de Montmirail) you used to be able to drive up to the Col du Cayron at certain times of the year, and approach both crags from there. Now, the road is closed to cars on a permanent basis and you have to walk up from a car park at les Florets, near Gigondas. In fact the walk from les Florets car park to the col du Cayron only adds on 15 mins or so, and a few minutes more to the parking for the Grand Travers, so no big deal.

The access to both Saint Christophe (Dentelles de Montmirail) and  Chaine du Clapis (Dentelles de Montmirail) remains unchanged.

I suspect in July it'll be the NW facing Gigondas sector you'll be wanting. The 'restrictions' notice was a bit misleading so I've changed it to 'advice'.

Post edited at 13:43
OP LynseyJ 25 May 2023
In reply to jon:

Still pretty convenient then!

That's great, thanks Jon

Rog Wilko 25 May 2023
In reply to jon:

Driving up to the Col from either east or west was certainly a scary undertaking without a 4wd, let alone in a motorhome, which we did once, but never again.

some great low grade climbing there, if that’s what the op is searching for.

Post edited at 22:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...