UKC

Denver, CO, in march?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack B 06 Feb 2020

Work is sending me to Denver in the first week of march, and a quick look at a map says that's a stone's throw from the Rocky Mountains.  I figure I can take a few extra days on the end of the trip, and was wondering what I'll find. 

Most folks I ask suggest skiiing, and that's definitely a possibility, but I've only ever done a one or two sessions, and didn't really catch the bug.  Granted, it might be better over there than a grey day in Glencoe. But I was also wondering if general walking (or Via Ferrata) would be a thing, or if it would all be under too much snow? Or anything else I should look into?

skog 07 Feb 2020
In reply to Jack B:

I've no idea at all about walking or vf there, but 25 years or so ago I went skiing in Summit County, at Copper Mountain, Keystone, Breckenridge and A-Basin. That's just up the road from Denver, maybe an hour and a half driving.

I've had many happy grey days at Glencoe, but I can confirm that the skiing over there is, indeed, substantially better!

I suspect you might find there's a bit much snow for walking and vf there in March, too. (Although I'm not sure how reliable that is.)

JohnV 07 Feb 2020
In reply to Jack B:

I'm in Colorado now on a ski touring trip. Other than ski resorts and ski touring, there are plenty of folks getting out with snowshoes and cross country skis. You could head to Rocky Mountain national park and snowshoe to Dream Lake etc West of Estes Park. $25 to enter the park but it is beautiful. You could even snowshoe or cross country ski to one of the 10th mountain huts. We have been to a couple and so far the skiing from the huts hasn't been great, but the huts are amazing and accessible without exposure to avalanche terrain. 

Avoid the I70 westbound on Saturday mornings and eastbound Sunday evening! Traffic is a nightmare. You can get to Estes Park without going on the I70. 

Russell Lovett 07 Feb 2020
In reply to Jack B:

Hi Jack was over there in May of last year and stayed in Estes Park for 3 days. Lots of great walking in that area and very easy to access Rockie Mountains NP. Take a look in my gallery, on page 2 there are a couple of shots of some snowy walks i did. You will probs need chains and winter snow tyers to get about in a car at that time of year and i suspect a bit of research prier to you trip will pay dividends. I walked Bear lake, cub Lake Nymph Lake,Emerald Lake ( all in deepish snow, lots of other people about so paths through the snow) and a few others all short half day walks in stunning suroundings. Enjoy.

OP Jack B 07 Feb 2020
In reply to Jack B:

Thanks folks. Sounds like the snowshoeing might be worth a look. Never done it before, but I guess it's not so different from cramponing? I could probably hire a pair and figure it out? I'm pretty happy with my avalanche awareness for Scotland, but I guess it would be prudent to remind myself about the different snow types over there.

I had a look on google, and it says it can't find public transport from Denver to Estes Park. Is that google having a bad day, or just the nature of it in the good ole USA? I can always hire a car instead.

In reply to Jack 

Snowshoe  is a good idea. Rocky Mountain NP a good call. Also Brainerd Lake which is a bit further south and out of the park.

Hire a car for sure

wbo2 07 Feb 2020
In reply to Jack B:  I think you can probably do a bit of what you fancy.  High mountains for snow sports, the foothills for hiking,trail, running, rock climbing,  bouldering

katieclimbs321 12 Feb 2020
In reply to Jack B:

I'm also in Denver that week for work. I'm going to brave some bouldering outdoors. Looking at Morrison and Mount Sanitas if you wana come.

OP Jack B 12 Feb 2020
In reply to katieclimbs321:

Hi Katie,

Judging from your other post I think we're both going to APS March Meeting?

I've actually juggled the dates about, so I'm holidaying the weekend before (29th/1st), and flying back after the exhibition closes on Wednesday evening. I guess that's no good to you?

Post edited at 19:39
 IPPurewater 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Jack B:

If you are going from close to sea level in the UK, be aware of the altitude in Colorado. I went from London to Denver and up the Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain NP, the next day. I didn't feel too good at the high point - 12095 ft ! There may be too much snow for this route in March though.

Post edited at 22:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...