UKC

Destinations Forum Icon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mutt 14 Oct 2020

I think its probably time to change the icon for the destinations forum. I don't think anyone is actually flying to climbing destinations at the moment and hopefully well all think twice before getting on a plane in the future, How about a train icon instead?

Andy Hardy 14 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

or a ship's wheel, netscape navigator stylee? or maybe a globe? or a compass?

Wainers44 14 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

Maybe a yellow van?

Sorry

PaulJepson 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

I like the idea of a compass icon!

chris_r 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> or a ship's wheel, netscape navigator stylee? or maybe a globe? or a compass?

Netscape Navigator. That's a blast from the past

Mr. Lee 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

How about a fridge icon, or other white goods, since the kitchen seems to be the new climbing destination of 2020.

bpmclimb 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

> I think its probably time to change the icon for the destinations forum. I don't think anyone is actually flying to climbing destinations at the moment and hopefully well all think twice before getting on a plane in the future, How about a train icon instead?

I posted this same point a while back and got slammed for it by various people

OP mutt 15 Oct 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

times are a changing

Tom Valentine 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

What makes you think no one's flying to go climbing?

Read the  most recent Kalymnos thread.

Post edited at 19:38
OP mutt 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Yes I did notice the number of people considering Kalymnos. They are braver than me on may levels. Still, we have to build back better and where better to start than the icon on the destinations page of ukc?!

tjekel 16 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

A fence would probably do. Or something historical... Travel, a thing long passed. 

duchessofmalfi 16 Oct 2020
In reply to tjekel:

A barbed wire fence replete with border force officials to ready to repel Johnny EU Foreigner?

The forum is "destinations", the current icon is "air travel", the icon is wrong regardless. 

The universal destination icon is the inverted tear-drop pin icon.  At the moment this is being abused for crag access. 

So, perhaps, the appropriate change is a green pin icon for destinations and a red stop sign for access (there is a cognitive dissonance between ¨stop" and "access" but here "access" is a cipher for "access issues" so maybe that forum needs mild renaming).

Removed User 16 Oct 2020

> What makes you think no one's flying to go climbing?

> Read the  most recent Kalymnos thread.

I've done a quick count. I know nineteen people who have flown out of the UK in the last 26 days, principally to go climbing.

tjekel 17 Oct 2020
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Even with no travel restriction, not many EU foreigners would plan for a climbing trip to the UK - fencing off your crags due to EU overcrowding will not be necessary... 

Agree with you on the symbol suggestions. 

The Pylon King 17 Oct 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

> I posted this same point a while back and got slammed for it by various people

The general public cant deal with visionaries it seems. Ive found that anyway.

jimtitt 17 Oct 2020
In reply to The Pylon King:

> The general public cant deal with visionaries it seems. Ive found that anyway.

Well in the previous bpmclimb thread he did actually write:,

"Cutting out a flight or two might make you feel more virtuous but in reality it will make almost zero difference............"

Trite bollocks was the expression I used then and would again. The icon should be a car.

The Pylon King 17 Oct 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Or an Airship.

bpmclimb 18 Oct 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

> Well in the previous bpmclimb thread he did actually write:,

> "Cutting out a flight or two might make you feel more virtuous but in reality it will make almost zero difference............"

> Trite bollocks was the expression I used then and would again. The icon should be a car.

Northern Star was responsible for the post from which you quote. I quoted it later in that thread in order to disagree with him (but it didn't appear in italics, though - not sure why). 

I originally posted a simple, fairly bland question: should the plane icon be changed? It seemed a fair and pretty obvious question to me, and still does - I'm not surprised to see it crop up again here. I remember I was at the time a bit taken aback by at the strong negative reaction from you; it seemed a bit disproportionate, and actually rather rude, frankly.

OP mutt 18 Oct 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

before we descend into the usual squabble .....lets try and work out how we go about getting this icon changed? If it does keep coming up and given UKC's new environmental focus, moving to carbon neutral servers and what not. Surely the time is right for some positive action. The plane icon is (regardless of whether there are still some people who can't bare to face up to reality) definitively out of step with UKC policy and 'Telling the Truth', This is more than a trite forum bish bash. if anyone is fooled into thinking that the only way to reach european climbing is by plane then some real damage has been done and UKC cannot claim to be carbon neutral. UKC must reform its destination articles and forum to promote sustainable transport.

Robert Durran 18 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

We clearly need a train icon for Eurasian destinations and probably keep the plane for N. and S. America and Australasia (realistically few will go by boat). Not sure about Africa.......

Removed User 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

How about a sailing ship?

alan moore 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Removed User:

How about ditching a mode-of-transport item altogether?

What about other travel related things; like a toothbrush?

Or is that a bouldering icon.

alan moore 19 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

How about a footprint? (Mrs Moore’s idea)

Robert Durran 19 Oct 2020
In reply to alan moore:

> How about a footprint? (Mrs Moore’s idea)

A carbon one?

Robert Durran 19 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

I actually think a ship would be the best choice; going anywhere abroad without flying will involve a ferry at some point. Or do "destinations" include UK ones? 

DerwentDiluted 19 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

A black passport.

In reply to mutt:

> before we descend into the usual squabble .....lets try and work out how we go about getting this icon changed?

Had you ever considered getting in touch with anyone from UKC? Understandably we don't have the time to trawl through each and every thread, hence this isn't necessarily one we delved into; however, a very quick - potentially even one line - email and we'd be able to offer a more formal response.

Having spoken to the Development Team it's now on the list. Sounds like a pretty simple change, but given everything else that's going on at the moment it may take a while before it reaches the top of the list.

Either way, it's in hand and will be sorted within the near future.

Post edited at 09:27
 Ramon Marin 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

haha brilliant, no one actually told UKC... just brilliant

aln 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

>> Either way, it's in hand and will be sorted within the near future.

Is it going to be a hot air balloon? 

Wainers44 19 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

> >> Either way, it's in hand and will be sorted within the near future.

> Is it going to be a hot air balloon? 

Hot air?

No, you're thinking of the Pub!

aln 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

😁

In reply to mutt:

Voila

alan moore 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Nice!

What is it?

In reply to alan moore:

Looks like a compass icon to me. 

Which seems like a good idea.

FactorXXX 19 Oct 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

> Looks like a compass icon to me. 
> Which seems like a good idea.

Be good for a Navigation/Orienteering Forum.
Flying might be frowned upon for obvious reasons, but there's no doubting that the Plane icon was a very clear way of identifying the Destinations Forum.

OP mutt 19 Oct 2020

Fantastic.

Frank R. 19 Oct 2020

Nice! If only the real change were so easy

DerwentDiluted 19 Oct 2020
In reply to alan moore:

> Nice!

> What is it?

A cyclops ninja.

tjekel 20 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

Perfect now 😊

Herdwickmatt 20 Oct 2020
In reply to tjekel:

Excellent it’s about time UKC had a dedicated orienteering section - mountain marathon runners need not take part.

mcdougal 20 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

What a great thread 🤣

Wainers44 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

> Excellent it’s about time UKC had a dedicated orienteering section - mountain marathon runners need not take part.

Path, I will take part so there! Now, if only I can find it.....

cb294 20 Oct 2020
In reply to chris_r:

> Netscape Navigator. That's a blast from the past

Yes, that is the thing that killed off NCSA Mosaic....

CB

mysterion 20 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

Great, the new icon really makes a difference

Tom Valentine 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Probably still got a badge hidden somewhere  in the sock drawer...

OP mutt 20 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

ok so now that the change has been made can someone please explain the dislikes? As I see it some of us think the icon was damaging and the issue was important. Why dislike? I am genuinely curious. 

bpmclimb 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> haha brilliant, no one actually told UKC... just brilliant

Probably never occurred to anyone that UKC would need telling. The icon has been right there, prominently featured, not hidden. The issue is a very obvious one, which has been raised several times on these forums. Given the current situation, not to recognise straightaway the unsuitability of a plane icon for a Destinations forum is, well  ..... 

bpmclimb 20 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

> ok so now that the change has been made can someone please explain the dislikes? As I see it some of us think the icon was damaging and the issue was important. Why dislike? I am genuinely curious. 

I sympathise! I didn't even come out and say the icon should be changed, just very briefly phrased it as a question, and I still got plenty of dislikes for it. Maybe it comes over as "preachy" to some? Perhaps others think relatively minor awareness-raising gestures of this sort are ineffective and therefore valueless? 

Big Bruva 20 Oct 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

Be proud of your dislikes! Alternatively, don't care. Certainly don't  be concerned about them. You will not give even a micro-fraction of a glimmer of a thought to your UKC popularity status when you're on your deathbed...

bpmclimb 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Big Bruva:

> Be proud of your dislikes! Alternatively, don't care. Certainly don't  be concerned about them. 

None of those cover it, really - just mildly curious about what motivates people to click one button or the other.

bouldery bits 20 Oct 2020
In reply to mutt:

Goodness me!!;

It has changed!!!

Gone for good 20 Oct 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

> Probably never occurred to anyone that UKC would need telling. The icon has been right there, prominently featured, not hidden. The issue is a very obvious one, which has been raised several times on these forums. Given the current situation, not to recognise straightaway the unsuitability of a plane icon for a Destinations forum is, well  ..... 

The unsuitability of the plane icon might not be appropriate for a few people on these forums but I bet dozens, if not hundreds, of other people on UKC will be booking flights for 2021 trips to the Himalayas, South America, Central Asia, the Alps and any other overseas climbing/mountaineering destination as soon as there is a whiff of a COVID19 vaccine. Will the plane icon be reinstated at that point? 

FactorXXX 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

> The unsuitability of the plane icon might not be appropriate for a few people on these forums but I bet dozens, if not hundreds, of other people on UKC will be booking flights for 2021 trips to the Himalayas, South America, Central Asia, the Alps and any other overseas climbing/mountaineering destination as soon as there is a whiff of a COVID19 vaccine. Will the plane icon be reinstated at that point? 

and using a Rockfax where appropriate...

Bulls Crack 20 Oct 2020
In reply to mysterion:

It looks a bit like the sigil odegra in the language of the Black Priesthood of Ancient Mu. 

Hail the Great Beast, Devourer of Worlds.

> Voila

Excellent!

Can one end of the compass needle be red? (I know, the other icons are one colour only)

Robert Durran 21 Oct 2020
In reply to mysterion:

> Great, the new icon really makes a difference.

Assuming you are being ironic, I am in total agreement. Swapping a well understood icon for a slightly obscure one seems absurd to me and may well even be counterproductive; it might even have acted as a reminder of our flying "guilt" every time we click on a thread about some distant destination. Just a superficial gateway to the same stuff behind it. What next? Is UKC going to stop reporting on climbs if people flew to them? And why stop at that - what about cars? Can we expect no more destination articles unless they are readily reached by train? 

There are serious issues here which all of us who love travelling the world to climb are probably wrestling with, but worrying about that little plane icon just seems trivially daft to me.

bouldery bits 21 Oct 2020

Can we expect no more destination articles unless they are readily reached by train? 

Unless it HS2.

Tom Valentine 21 Oct 2020

I'm worried that the pub icon might be next, since it shows what might be a glass of beer, which is alcohol, which is not generally considered A Good Thing.

Gone for good 21 Oct 2020

I think the gear forum should remove the carabiner icon and replace it with a big spliff. Much more appropriate !!

Robert Durran 21 Oct 2020

> I think the gear forum should remove the carabiner icon and replace it with a big spliff. Much more appropriate !!

The price tag with the pound sign should go too - after all, money is the root of all evil.

bpmclimb 22 Oct 2020

> The unsuitability of the plane icon might not be appropriate for a few people on these forums but I bet dozens, if not hundreds, of other people on UKC will be booking flights for 2021 trips to the Himalayas, South America, Central Asia, the Alps and any other overseas climbing/mountaineering destination as soon as there is a whiff of a COVID19 vaccine. Will the plane icon be reinstated at that point? 

When I said "current situation" I meant the climate, not Covid.

PaulJepson 22 Oct 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

Yea there has been a nice bit of positive momentum C-19 has forced in terms of responsible travel for climbing. It would be a shame to just forget about that when the pandemic isn't as much of a factor. 

I hope the future leans more towards taking trips like Ciavaldini & Pearson in lieu of blasting everywhere on a cheap flight. If the death knell of cheap short-haul flights is one thing that comes out of this then it wouldn't be such a bad thing.  

walts4 22 Oct 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> I hope the future leans more towards taking trips like Ciavaldini & Pearson in lieu of blasting everywhere on a cheap flight. If the death knell of cheap short-haul flights is one thing that comes out of this then it wouldn't be such a bad thing.  

Obviously you've believed the Ciavaldini & Pearson  trip ethos that was portrayed all over Instagram so recently?

I suppose sponsored climbers have to go some way to offset & justify their constant galivanting around the globe to provide the next Instagram post, but can you really see the average person cycling to Euro destinations & using all of their annual holiday in one go?

PaulJepson 22 Oct 2020
In reply to walts4:

There is a happy medium. That's why I said leaning towards. If we can collectively lessen our impact then that can only be good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...