UKC

Dolomite climbing - camping around Cortina?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robbo282930 04 Jul 2014
Can anyone give some advice on camping in the Cortina area of the Dolomites in August to September 2014? I plan to be there for the climbing and Via F. I'll spend some initial nights in a B&B and then shift to camping for a few weeks. I've seen that there are camping grounds in the area. Are there any grounds that are more suitable for climbers? or are there alternate locations that climbers use for camping and access to the crags?
While I'm at it: Are there any hire car companies that operate from Cortina?

Cheers, Robbo
 CurlyStevo 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Robbo282930:
Are you asking if other areas completely may be better? Sella Pass is not that far away and whilst busy - its really good for trad rock climbing and there is a lot of via ferreta (and not too bad for sport climbing either). I haven't been to Cortina so can't comment on that area.
Post edited at 10:32
 alexcollins123 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Robbo282930:
We've stayed in Camping Olympia before (and am about to stay again next week) and its pretty nice. Three VF's at least within walking distance, but the crags are a drive away, and Cinque Torre is about 20 mins away by car.

Cortina itself is a few K's away, but easily walkable. I'd drive though seeing as parking is like €1 in the town.

Oh there are also two other campsites a bit closer to the town (to the south), and they seemed good when I looked at them as well, just a bit more family-orientated.
Post edited at 10:54
 Jenny C 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Robbo282930:

We stayed at Camping Dolomiti, right outside Cortina on the far side from Olympia.

3 sites all very close together but was recommended this one by friends as the most suitable.
No kids clubs, evening entertainment, or bar. Easy walking of Cortina. No extra charge for showers, washing machines or electric hookups. Choice of sunny or shady pitches.
Robbo282930 06 Jul 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Hey Stevo, Thanks for your answer. Actually, I was asking about camping in the Cortina area, either the commercial or unofficial camping grounds for climbers. Cheers
Robbo282930 06 Jul 2014
In reply to alexcollins123:

Thanks Alex, I'll take note of your information. Cheers
Robbo282930 06 Jul 2014
In reply to Jenny C:

Thanks Jenny, I'll check it out. Sounds good too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...