UKC

Dolomites in the Autumn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 13 Jul 2018

Dolomites-How far into Autumn are the Dolomites feasible for via ferratta, looking to fit in a five day trip some time in September 

Jenny C 13 Jul 2018
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Depends on the weather (not a helpful answer). 2 years ago it was full on summer into late September, but most of the lifts stopped running by the middle of the month and campsites closed around the 20th.

On our previous trip winter kicked in around the second week. Really cold a night and light snow cover on high tops.

Regarding VF if anything late in season is better as you don't have residual snow and they will have repaired damage to the cables from the previous winter. (Have done a few dodgy ones when there in July, with damaged out broken sections of cable). 

alex 13 Jul 2018

Have been in Sept a few times. Always quiet. Sometimes amazing with blazing sun and clear blue skies, other times didn’t see the mountains all week due to cloud...

Check all the lifts, they close on different dates, so you can plan a trip around that. Also you can easily find snow covered Ferrata in mid Sept. 

If I was planning anything later than first week in Sept I think I’d assume it was 50/50 and have backup plans to bail to Arco (also lots of via Ferrata there...)

Casa Alfredino 13 Jul 2018

It's a fantastic month, basically one of the best in the year! I might be biased as we have space then, but it's true. The down side is the lack of lifts, the upside is the lack of people.

My one trip there about 4 years ago was the last 10 days of sept and we had great weather. Quite cold at night, but we had a nice but cheap apartment (out of season prices). Most lifts were closed and half the resturants as well but plenty you can do anyway if you plan it out.

Still really warm during the day, shorts and t shirt weather.

Toerag 13 Jul 2018

Last week august / 1st week sept is about optimum time. everything is still open, yet it's not too busy*

*I've never tried booking huts at weekends at that time, that is much more likely to be a problem. Easy access huts will get busy on Friday nights with people who have blatted out from the cities and want to make an early start on Saturday.

I might look for somewhere a bit warmer, Arco as a back up sounds good 

Casa Alfredino 15 Jul 2018

Seriously - weather is the best you will get there then - warmer? It's optimal temps there then. Usually 20-25 degs at 1100m...

yelotango 16 Jul 2018

Had about 2 feet of snow at Rif Laguzoi last September - same day as F1 qualifying was delayed due to rain at Monza

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...