UKC

Easy climbing on the Isle of Skye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 monkeytash 02 Mar 2013
Does such a thing exist? I'm going on holiday with my family and would like to find a few easy routes that I can do with my son. He is five and needs a top rope. Any suggestions of places we could climb together?
 Skyfall 02 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeytash:
The Dubh ridge is easy but maybe a bit long for a top rope
 David Barratt 02 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeytash: the in.pin. is used a lot by guides and folk who haven't climbed before. It's exposed but easy. prepare to queue if it's sunny!
 JLS 02 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeytash:

I'm not sure, other may be certain but you may find suitable stuff at Neist Point.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=47149
 Bulls Crack 02 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeytash:

I'd wander around and find a suitably sized rock? There'll be one about
 Mike Lates 02 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeytash: The Cuillin routes tend to be too far on approach for most 5 yo but the new Sea-cliffs guidebook (SMC 2012) has a variety of suitable stuff. Possibly top of the list would be the staffin crags called the Ty Buttress from memory; 2 mins from the road, anchors above, walk-off ok & 3 different 8-10m routes @ Diff.
Look at Suisinish, & Poverty/destitution points.
OP monkeytash 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:
Thanks so much for that - really useful. I'll check out the guide you mention. I now have a very excited boy on my hands!
OP monkeytash 03 Mar 2013
In reply to David Barratt:
Thanks for the tip. Will check it out. Cheers!
 chukb 03 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeytash:

Best place for this kind of thing is Elgol. Single pitch (mostly) sea cliffs (non-tidal), solid rock, nice beaches, awesome views. Not sure about a guide book as being semi-resident I know the area, but you've got everthing from Diff to E4.
 Cameron94 03 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeytash: As Mike has said the approaches might be a bit much for most five year olds but if your guy is fit then some scrambles rather than climbs could be a good idea. The black cuillin, red cuillin and bla bhein are all full of scrambles from the easy grades to the climbing grades and with plenty of different lengths to suit.

Hope you have a good one
 JimGoodman 04 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeytash: There is also White Dyke near Kyle of Lochalsh which is very user friendly.
OP monkeytash 04 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeytash:
Thanks for all your help. Looking forward to it!
 Mike Lates 05 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeytash: I've copies of both Sea-cliffs & Cuillin for sale if you want them and other ideas for outdoor activities for 5yo if you want them while your up. M
OP monkeytash 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:
Thanks for the offer but I've just bought a copy of Sea-cliffs on Amazon. Other ideas for 5 year olds definitely welcomed though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...