UKC

Easy North Wales crag to introduce Scouts to climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Before I begin I am not looking for a lecture regarding the wrongs of top roping with groups, I know people have strong feelings on this matter but beginners have to start at somewhere.

So

I am looking for a crag suitable to visit with a group of 4 - 6 Scouts, they will not have climbed outside before and this is to be the introduction to hopefully start their interest in the sport.

I am looking for an area I can set two or three top ropes at a time with easy- easy to slightly challenging routes. Good options for anchors would help and not being miles from the road.

Any suggestions please?

jezb1 05 Oct 2017
In reply to benmason:
Hard to beat Lion Rock, Google will bring up a topo and there's some info on the UKC database.

There's others too including Holyhead Mtn, Upper Tier Tremadog, Union Rock and Clogwyn Cyrau.

Post edited at 18:11
 Darron 07 Oct 2017
In reply to benmason:

Barmouth slabs is ideal.
 dilatory 07 Oct 2017
In reply to benmason:
Tryfan Bach and Carreg y Foel Gron are options too. Obviously there's always groups at Tryfan Bach. The slabs are easy with obvious anchor options. I've never climbed at Carreg y Foel Gron but bouldered there and seen groups of school children top roping a few times doing top roped routes in trainers and stuff.
Post edited at 07:51
 Mark Stevenson 08 Oct 2017
In reply to benmason:
All the single pitch crags within Snowdonia are pretty mediocre for groups in one way or another, although still very workable for introductory sessions. The usual options have already been mentioned.

However, one of the better single pitch venues in N Wales (especially the group is fairly active and have climbing shoes) is Pot Hole Quarry (Three Springs) fairly close to Mold and the A55 so potentially a good venue on the first or last day of a trip.
Post edited at 11:41
 sheelba 08 Oct 2017
In reply to benmason:

They haven't all been mentioned, Conwy mountain should also be very suitable

Conwy Mountain#overview

rachelpearce01 09 Oct 2017
In reply to benmason:

Barmouth slabs or craig y tonnau. Lots of really good severed. Upper tier is good to but more in the hs/vs range. The severes there aren't great.

Would not rate lion rock at all. It's really small and don't think would give punters much sense of achievement getting to the top.
 Deviant 10 Oct 2017
In reply to rachelpearce01:

You earned a dislike for using the term punter.
 gethin_allen 10 Oct 2017
In reply to benmason:

Surely with 6 scouts you only need 2 ropes, on each rope; one climbing one belaying, one holding the tail.
 rachelpearce01 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Deviant:
Was just trying to be helpful...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...