UKC

Easyish sport climbing destination june 6s/low 7s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jackob 11 Mar 2018

Hi,

Im looking to head away somewhere fairly cheap in europe in june.

Im taking a friend with me who climbs 5c+/6a/6a+ whereas im looking to climb up to 7a+ / Maybe 7b. Can anyone reccomend somewhere which wont be too hot and will have lots of options at those grades! 

Thanks!

john arran 11 Mar 2018
In reply to Jackob:

Ariège definitely worth considering. Could be pretty hot in June but there are plenty of shady options so climbing very unlikely to be unpleasant. Also a good selection of crags with both of your ranges of grades.

jimtitt 11 Mar 2018
In reply to Jackob:

Frankenjura

kevin stephens 11 Mar 2018
In reply to Jackob: Hornsby Crags Great Orme. Ariege is great but far too hot in June. Frankenjura is nice; souped up version of Peak District with single bolt lower offs. June is prime time for UK climbing; worth getting some trad gear? Callanques may work but prob too hot anyway

Post edited at 20:54
 zv 11 Mar 2018
In reply to Jackob:

Margalef can be quite hot, however there is tons in the shade and many crags have 5+ next to 7as and above with loads in between.  In fact most crags have a similar grade spread and even some "hardcore" venues such as Espadelles have a bunch of lovely 6a, 6bs on one end.

Also, the climbing is pockety rather than crimpy so should be good connies in the shade.

Post edited at 21:16
 john arran 12 Mar 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Ariege is great but far too hot in June. 

If you're the kind of person that likes crisp redpointing conditions I'd say you're spot on. And there's often one week in June when it genuinely is difficult for hard climbing, but I like it when it's fine belaying in a t-shirt and many of my best onsights in Ariège have been done in the middle of summer. Horses for courses, I suppose.

In any case, the temperatures on average will be several degrees cooler than in the Calanques, and cooler again on the higher crags.

Ian Bell 12 Mar 2018
In reply to john arran:

Asturias in North Spain? Think its a bit cooler / wetter than the rest of Spain so June should be a good time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...