UKC

El Chorro if you cannot walk far

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 20 May 2013
Hi
thinking of going to El Chorro and one of my mates has knackered ankles so cannot walk far, particularly on rough ground. So is there roadside or very short easy approach climbing at El Chorro and if there is, is it ultra polished, looking at 5+ and 6a grades.
Cheers sjc
 OliBangbala 20 May 2013
In reply to sjc: the walk in to |Las Encantadas isnt too bad, though a little bit steep in places, its still failry roadside, there are a few 6a/+'s iand one 5+, they tend to be polished but not awfully so (i think they are used as warmuops for the harder stuff there)

If i remember right Sector Castrojo on Frontales is an easy approach, if you have a car. but if you fo "Un Motion de Charetta" 6a+ be aware that the last 5 hangers were missing a few months back!!
 jkarran 20 May 2013
In reply to sjc:

I'd go somewhere else to be honest assuming you're still at the planning stage.

jk
J1234 20 May 2013
In reply to jkarran:
Any suggestions ? North West England based, so flights from Man, Liv or Leeds Brad best.
 full stottie 20 May 2013
In reply to sjc:
Valle de Abdalajis is only 5 minutes from a parking area, and the left end of Frontales is easily accessibly from a parking place - Sectors Castrojo and Los Albercones.
The right of Frontales and Escalera Arabe are further to walk, although the forest path to the latter is easy going until the final slopes to the base of the crag. We didn't find any ultra polish and were climbing at the grades you mention.

Dave
J1234 20 May 2013
In reply to full stottie:
Cheers, that sounds optimistic
 John Ww 20 May 2013
In reply to sjc:

Flight to Alicante and then Calpe?
 Stone Muppet 20 May 2013
Sometimes you can drive up the forest road to get quite close to Escalara Arabe, don't know if this is legal though.

More inclined to take jk's advice actually - fly to Alicante, go climb at Sella?
 silhouette 20 May 2013
In reply to sjc: Bear in mind that at this time of year you may be needing to find crags in the shade which could make your existing restrictions even more restrictive. It seems like a tall order to me. You might investigate Camarasa crag in Lleida which is raodside and shady in the morning. Can't offhand think of much else.
J1234 20 May 2013
GIn reply to silhouette: Go
ing October
Removed User 20 May 2013
In reply to sjc:

Same as someone else said above. Go to Sella, you can drive to the bottom of some crags, and even belay from the front seat of the car if you want to.
 woodsy 20 May 2013
In reply to Removed User:
Witches quarry
 ClareG 20 May 2013
In reply to sjc: I went to El Chorro fairly late October 2011 and it was roasting hot (at least high 20s). Just a warning...! I was climbing a similar grade and we struggled to find much in the shade at all. The approaches weren't bad though as far as I remember.
J1234 21 May 2013
In reply to sjc:
Thanks for the replies, except the one from dirt bag Woodsy.
As a side issue is it worth taking Via Ferratta kit for Camino Del Ray is it equipped as a Via Feratta? I have the kit so it`s no hassle, just wondering.
 OliBangbala 21 May 2013
In reply to sjc: if you have got the kit then you may aswell, we managed fine with just slings and crabs.. Might be worth taking a small length of rope and a couple of draws if you want to do the entire length as the second half involves a short climb (no trouble soloing up it but down climbing above the walkway is a bit sketchy!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...