UKC

El Chorro in March / April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adsheff 03 Jan 2013
Is it worth going here in March or April or is the weather not up to scratch?
 partworn 04 Jan 2013
In reply to adsheff:
> We've been at that time and its been fine. We stayed with the friendly guys at the Olive Branch, why not have a chat with them?

Wil Treasure 04 Jan 2013
In reply to adsheff:

I've been twice at the start of April, quite hot but bearable. Days were mixed with some overcast and breezy and very pleasant, others very still and too hot on the south faces by early afternoon - but if you start early you can have a siesta at this time.
 Wil Treasure 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Wil Treasure:

Also - if you a hire a car it's possible to get to shadier places if it's hot.
 Motown 04 Jan 2013
In reply to adsheff: A bit of risk from rain, but has been mostly good the three times I've been there during mid-April. Hire car will get you to Desplomilandia which is normally dry.
 bigsecret 05 Jan 2013
In reply to adsheff:
I have been for Easter week the last two years. The two years ago the weather was very wet and caused the cancellation of the Easter parade in Seville for the first time in 80 years - http://www.dw.de/rain-in-spain-ruins-sevilles-easter-parade/a-15024227. We still managed to get some climbing in as we had a hire car and could just drive away from the clouds. The weather is basically warm enough that the rock dries out quickly. On the basis that this was a once in 80 years event we booked the same week last year and it rained again but to a much lesser degree and we actually got out on rock on 6 of the seven days.

Fingers crossed for this year.
OP adsheff 05 Jan 2013
In reply to adsheff:
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm looking for somewhere to stay within driving distance, where we can leave the non-climbers by the pool with a Kindle while we go off and do dangerous stuff
 mr mills 05 Jan 2013
In reply to adsheff:

I was there in March 2011 and it was to hot to climb in the sun, early morning or late afternoon cooled off a bit, Desplomilandia or the gorge is another option for when it gets to hot..
 guhj 05 Jan 2013
In reply to adsheff: I was there at the end of may 2012 (arrived 16th, departed 30th I think), and it was alright. No point in trying to climb in the sun in the afternoon, but morning and evening were fine. Usual routine would be get up at 8 am, start climbing 9 am, go home for lunch and siesta 1 pm, go out climbing again 5 pm, get shut down by nightfall 10 pm. Those who can honestly say "*good* morning" could get another hour or maybe two in the morning, but I can't be trusted not to kill people that time of day...

And the tips about Desplo and the gorge are useful.
 Siderunner 05 Jan 2013
In reply to adsheff:

Only one place to stay at El Chorro: The Olive Branch.

Run by a really friendly young British couple. Great atmosphere. Some comfortable twin/double rooms, some with ensuite, at incredibly reasonable prices. Pool, pool table, nice kitchen facilities, walking distance to crag - couldn't ask for more IMO.
 JayK 06 Jan 2013
In reply to adsheff:

Ask Gary at the OliveBranch to put on Thai night. It's the best!
OP adsheff 09 Jan 2013
Thanks for your help everyone. I'm informed by my better half that it won't be warm enough here for sunbathing in late March, hmph
 biscuit 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Siderunner:
> (In reply to adsheff)
>
> Only one place to stay at El Chorro: The Olive Branch.
>
> Run by a really friendly young British couple. Great atmosphere. Some comfortable twin/double rooms, some with ensuite, at incredibly reasonable prices. Pool, pool table, nice kitchen facilities, walking distance to crag - couldn't ask for more IMO.

I agree with everything apart from 'young' ;0)

As for sunbathing we've been sat outside for lunch the last few days here ( 1 hr from Chorro ) and Chorro is 500m lower than where i live. It's about 15-20 degrees during the day at the moment and by Easter you can go o the beach as it will be in the 20's. I probably wouldn't but if you're coming from the UK where it may be below 10 degrees druing the day it feels roasting.

Also with Chorro you can walk if needs be ( hundreds of routes within 30m walk ) and leave the hire car for your mates who don't climb.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...