UKC

Ettringen, Germany.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davkeo 09 Sep 2018

Looking for some advice/recommendations from anyone who has climbed here. Mainly where to camp (paid or doss areas) & which guidebook is best. Or maybe it’s one of those convienient German crags that has the route name & grade at the bottom of each climb?!  

Any other tips welcome.

Thanks

Dave

Post edited at 19:23
 HansStuttgart 09 Sep 2018
In reply to davkeo:

Don't camp outside of official campsites. The area is close to being closed for climbing because of stuff like that...

Naturfreundehaus Laacherseehaus is a good place.

We used Schwarze Säulen, which was fine. Everything is easy to find, because the routes are mostly defined by the crack lines.

Bring camalots....

Carless 10 Sep 2018
In reply to davkeo:

I've only stayed once at one of the campsites there (I think the Laacher See but I could be wrong)

It was fine and well situated on a lakeside with good food & beer

BUT, at the time they had the most unbelievably bureaucratic arriving and registering that we've ever seen

I seem to remember that each tent had to have someone go there at 15:00, queue up to check-in

this put a large dent in the time for climbing

I wouldn't go again if they still have this system

Maybe HansStuttgart has more recent information

davis 12 Sep 2018
In reply to davkeo:

Hi

I was just there and did a blog post on it check out moredaysoff.com

I linked the guide book. Routes. Crags. And lots of other area beta.

OP davkeo 20 Sep 2018
In reply to davis:

Thanks for this it was very helpful. 

OP davkeo 20 Sep 2018
In reply to davkeo:

Thanks for the messages. Just did 2 days at Ettringen, staying at the Siesta campsite. Climbing is pretty cool & well worth a stop over. The campsite was fine but a little noisy due to the proximity to the motorway. 

For anyone interested in crack climbing in the general area then I can recommend a place called ‘Zeigelhausen’ in Heidelberg. There’s a classic trad climb called ‘Super crack of Highdelberg’ which is well worth seeking out. Worth doing for the name alone! 

Post edited at 10:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...