UKC

Family / kids friendly crags in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AG1 24 Apr 2021

Tell me about kid friendly crags in Scotland: easy single pitch trad or sport, easy access, picnic spot. Nice big trees at the top for a top-rope would be amazing.

Flinticus 24 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

Auchinstarry Quarry?

Though I was there for my first time today and it is kid friendly (there were kids there) but surprisingly little of the site / crag / quarry is seeing active use. I was expecting a central belt trad mecca but it was not to be.

DizzyVizion 24 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

Traprain Law isn't bad. And neither is Rosyth Quarry. They have some easy'ish climbs, and both make a decent setting for a picnic. 

Auchinstarry is a pretty good shout too.

But the best kid-friendly crag I've been to up here has been Benny Beg. It's a sport climbing venue so all climbs are bolted. Plus plenty of tress for top roping. The rock is interesting to climb.

An idea of where you'll be in Scotland could help narrow it down a bit maybe?

Post edited at 21:20
 AdrianC 24 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

Kirriemuir.  Even has a Peter Pan themed kids play park between the car park and the crag.

And J.M. Barrie's grave is there if you like that sort of thing.

girlymonkey 24 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

Depending on where you are staying and the age of kids, Kipps crag above Menstrie is lovely for wee ones. A handful of routes, easy grades, super picnic spot at the top. 

Post edited at 22:30
OP AG1 25 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

> An idea of where you'll be in Scotland could help narrow it down a bit maybe?

As close as possible to as many kid friendly crags as possible )
Trying to decide where to stay in Scotland to allow maximum climbing opportunities, although the rain might get in the way...

Kids are very keen to see Ben Nevis and may be hike in that area, so most likely to stay around there.

Post edited at 00:16
 Graeme G 25 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

> Trying to decide where to stay in Scotland to allow maximum climbing opportunities, although the rain might get in the way...

Sigh.....do your research. There are parts of Scotland which are significantly drier than parts of England. Step away from the stereotype.

> Kids are very keen to see Ben Nevis and may be hike in that area, so most likely to stay around there.

In which case, yes you’ll very likely experience rain.

When you say ‘stay’ do you mean a holiday? Cummingston or Logie Head. Warm, dry and it’s a beach

girlymonkey 25 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

How about seeing Ben Nevis en route, and continue North to Reiff? You have a second chance of a weather window on the Ben on your way south. 

Reiff is cracking, often a bit drier with lovely climbing and a beach to play on. No big trees at the top though!

Doug 25 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

If you do go to Lochaber to see Ben Nevis it might be worth checking out nearby Polldubh as a climbing option

JLS 25 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

Perthshire is nice. I’d lots of nice childhood holidays in Comrie. Plenty of woodland walks, hills and Lochs. And child friendly...  Benny Beg

AlH 25 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

Friendly sport climbing but could be midgey on a still day in the season: Comic Crag Kingussie. More exposed and trad not sport but Creag Beag at Kingussie too.

CurlyStevo 25 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

from the already mentioned crags possible benny beg or kirriemuir, neither are top notch crags even in the UK scale though.

Not Scotland but I think Northumberland is generally better for this. Scotland a lot of the best stuff is a big walk in , multipitch or sea cliff etc.

Post edited at 18:58
 CurlyStevo 25 Apr 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Reiff is mostly abseil in isn't it?

CurlyStevo 25 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

the problem with the west coast is it gets very midgey past May and the weather is much more unpredictable. Its normally better to stay flexible on destination.

CurlyStevo 25 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

Which month are you thinking of going?

Robert Durran 25 Apr 2021
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Reiff is mostly abseil in isn't it?

No

girlymonkey 25 Apr 2021
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I've only climbed a little there, but no abs in for anything we did. 

Cam Forrest 26 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

Polldubh

Easy single pitch trad - tick (- and multi)

Easy access - tick

(Brilliant) picnic spots - tick

Nice big trees - tick

(Brilliant scenery, unlike many of the other suggestions)

Bob Kemp 26 Apr 2021
In reply to Cam Forrest:

Ticks - tick!

Sorry, couldn’t resist. But worth considering. Also some serious midges there. 

CurlyStevo 26 Apr 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yeah I've only been once, must have got confused with the need to ab.

Mark Bull 26 Apr 2021
In reply to CurlyStevo:

There are a couple of areas at Reiff that are usually accessed by abseil, and some others that have awkward scrambling where you might want to rope kids up. The most obvious target for a first visit with kids would be the Pinnacle Walls area, which has a short walk-in, easy access and a large flat platform below the routes. 

Mark Bull 26 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

The Torridon/Gairloch area is worth considering: great scenery, good beaches and a selection of suitable crags, such as  Ardheslaig Fence Crag Raven's Crag, Gairloch Aztec Tower Grass Crag Clown Slab Gruinard Bay and  Jetty Buttress

Removed User 26 Apr 2021
In reply to Mark Bull:

> There are a couple of areas at Reiff that are usually accessed by abseil, and some others that have awkward scrambling where you might want to rope kids up. The most obvious target for a first visit with kids would be the Pinnacle Walls area, which has a short walk-in, easy access and a large flat platform below the routes. 

I've climbed at Reiff many times and never abseiled into anywhere, although yes there are a few places where it is necessary but there's so much at Reiff you don't really need to bother with them.

I would say that though that a number of areas do have scramble descents for access so could be hazardous if your kids are at the energetic curious stage of life and liable to wander off. If you do go to Reiff pick your area carefully.

Mark Bull 26 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

>  And neither is Rosyth Quarry. They have some easy'ish climbs, and both make a decent setting for a picnic. 

Each to their own, but there are a few million nicer places to have a picnic in Scotland than Rosyth Quarry! 

BelleVedere 26 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

well, Creag Bheag (The Mound) is a pretty child friendly venue.  sport from 3+, sea level, easy flat walk in. 

OP AG1 26 Apr 2021
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Next week

BrendanO 26 Apr 2021
In reply to Mark Bull:

Awww, poor unloved Rosyth Quarry!! On the plus side, your kids can abseil, be noisy, and light a big fire and no-one will mind. It’s also well-placed fir Edinburgh, Deep Sea World, Fife Coastal Path, Secret Bunker... Not W coast so weather/midges not bad.

Benny Beg is uber child friendly - toilets, cafe, etc.

And the Kirrie playpark is BRILLIANT!

No-one else will suggest this, but artificial boulder park Cuningar Loop is conveniently in Glasgow, FREE, and has a bmx track too! Topo online on Forestry Commission website.

And finally, there’s beach trad climbs at... Mull? Iona? (its in the Arran and Inner Hebs SMC guidebook).

Sherlock 27 Apr 2021
In reply to BelleVedere:

Isn't that next to a railway line?

CurlyStevo 27 Apr 2021
In reply to AG1:

Well next week is a good time for midgies so that does open up your options massively. Its too early to be sure but the pressure chart forecast its looking like careful planning may be required https://apps.ecmwf.int/webapps/opencharts/products/medium-mslp-wind850?base...

The far NW is looking like a reasonable bet right now https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2639507

Post edited at 09:51
 DizzyVizion 27 Apr 2021
In reply to Mark Bull:

I think the criteria for a picnic area was secondary to the kid-friendly climbing criteria. Rosyth obviously isn't the best place for a picnic. But it's not a horrible place either. I've eaten a sandwich there and enjoyed it. It was peanut butter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...