/ Family and Climbing Holiday, Spain October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
stevieb 09 Sep 2019

Has anyone got any good suggestions for where to go in Spain for a family holiday + climbing in October?

My main holiday this year is going to be in October half term, and my daughter is very keen to go somewhere Spanish speaking. Ideally I'd want somewhere with beach watersports options, but also the chance for 2 or 3 days low-grade climbing.

I know late October is pushing it weatherwise for mainland Spain and a lot of the beach activities could be closing down, so wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

Canary islands are a possibility but flights are a lot more, and I'm less excited at the prospect. Central America might be pushing it a bit too far, but I'm open to suggestions

Mark Eddy 09 Sep 2019
In reply to stevieb:

There'll still be beach activities on some of the Costa Blanca beaches at that time, although you may need to arrange things in advance. There's some great kayaking and snorkelling around the Javea / Denia area. In the resorts English is widely spoken too, but loads of potential to practice Spanish. Denia, Gandia, Pedreguer all perfect for that. All close to or on the coast and plenty of low grade climbing nearby.

I've been there for the last 8 or 9 Octobers and weather has varied a fair bit from hot - rain and chilly days. But it's easy to move along the coast in search of the right weather and pretty likely somewhere will be good between Castellon - Murcia.

HTH

Northern Star 09 Sep 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Majorca probably your best bet for that time of year if you want to avoid the longer and more expensive flights to Tenerife and also have a reasonable chance of good weather.  We went at half term last year and there was plenty going on.  Busy but not as manic as the summer months.  Hot and sunny but again not the unbearable temperatures of high summer.  Weather was great, loads of sports climbing (there are a couple of easier grade crags such as Felantix) and loads of watersports and beach activities going on.

Max factor 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Northern Star:

Second this. October half term week has been good weather in the Balearics the last couple of years. Sunny and c.20-25 C. Sea is still warm enough to swim in, and it's a pretty chilled time of year. 

stevieb 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Northern Star:

Thanks for this. I like Majorca, and I've climbed in the north of the island, and the south west. Is the east also good for sport (as well as DWS)? And is there a good base over that side?

stevieb 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thanks. I have climbed in the Costa Blanca a long time ago, but didn't get round the corner to Javea  or Denia. Sounds good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.