UKC

Family friendly alps destination?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
This summer we want to go to the alps. I've been to Chamonix loads of times and twice to the Saas valley and fancy somewhere different. It would be myself, my wife and our 1 yr old. We are looking for somewhere with:
1. a few short, easy alpine routes with non glacial approaches that I can solo (think Joderhorn type thing) ideally done from the campsite not a hut.
2. Some nice cycle ride options suitable for a bike with a 1 yr old on the back
3. Scenic walks
4. maybe some bouldering
5. I don't know about this one but is any of the easiest via feratta ok with a kiddy in a carrier? That sounds hugely irresponsible but some might be appropriate.

So far I am thinking a week in Arolla then head over to the dolomites but I don't know the dollies at all so open to suggestions of where to go. Also struggling to find a guidebook for Arolla that covers the alpine stuff as opposed to just the sport.

Any ideas for destinations?
Thanks
 PeterBlackler 19 May 2017
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

Do you know the Ecrins? Ailefroide perhaps...

It has some of your requirements at least; I don't think anywhere will have all

have-fun/stay-safe

Pete

cragtyke 19 May 2017

Have a look at the Otztal and Zillertal/ Mayrhofen tourism sites.
In reply to cragtyke:

Thanks, will take a look
In reply to PeterBlackler:

A little, I've skied there a few times now and climbed valley ice in winter twice there but not been in summer. Will take a look.
 Jus 20 May 2017

Val di Mello sounds like a good bet!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 20 May 2017

I can't recommend the Dolomites enough. Unrivalled scenery, easy access, via ferrata and some of the best road biking in the world. Campsites in most of the major towns.
 Trangia 20 May 2017

The Engadin ticks many of your boxes

http://www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/

It's a beautiful area. I spent a couple of weeks there with my ex. She was a non climber, but had plenty to keep herself occupied in the valley whilst I took myself off for a couple of 2/3 day climbs in the high mountains including Piz Bernina 4,049m. Apart from this we did loads of scenic walking and cycling together and we did one easy, virtually glacier free, peak called Piz Morteratsch 3,796m, her first ever Alpine peak. Non technical and fun.

Thanks all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...