UKC

Family sport climbing October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
janeho 15 Jun 2012
Planning a trip for October half term. We are looking for single pitch sport climbing somewhere fairly sunny. We need easy routes (4's/ 5's) for the kids, somewhere that's not too expensive to get too, and somewhere with some other general family holiday activities like walks and beaches.
In the past years we have been to Cyprus and Mallorca which fitted the spec perfectly.
Any thoughts on where this years trip should be? Sardinia? Costa Blanca? Ardeche?

Sorry this has probably been asked on the forum before I have done a search but couldn't see anything specifically referencing the easier familiy friendly single pitch stuff.
Thanks
 Owen W-G 15 Jun 2012
In reply to janeho:

Sardinia Cala Gonone has lots of crags in a small area, lots of 4-5s on slabs, beaches etc. Might be quiet, you should be able to rent an appartment for a good price.

Tom Hutton 15 Jun 2012
In reply to janeho: Would say Cala Gonone is perfect for a mixed family/climbing trip.
janeho 15 Jun 2012
In reply to janeho:
Thanks
 jimtitt 16 Jun 2012
In reply to janeho:

San Vito Lo Capo, Sicily.

670 routes, 120 grade 5 and below. Best Beach in Italy (Trip Advisor), Zingaro National Park next door. 4 star campsite/bungalows in the middle of the cliff. Flights with Easyjet, Ryanair and every scheduled airline.
 ripper 16 Jun 2012
In reply to janeho: I've been to Sicily at October half term - just once, so I don't know how typical this is - but it was warm and sunny enough to be on the beach and the sea was still warm too. Palermo's very interesting too for a 'day off' trip
 Peter Herold 16 Jun 2012
In reply to janeho: Round where we live in Sardinia is better for non-climbing activities than Cala Gonone, people tell us: kayaking is a firm favourite with families and kids, you hire all the stuff from Cardedu Kayak, see their photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/sardegnaseakayak/5815524215/ more walks (see Rother and Cicerone guides). There aren't crags like Budinetto with loads of 5's, but lots of crags have 4-5-6 5's, plenty for a day.
Remember Sardinia is bigger than Wales with higher mountains, and just llike Wales there are lots of areas each with its own characteristics.
Good luck Peter
 john arran 16 Jun 2012
In reply to janeho:

Here in Ariège would be absolutely perfect except that the nearest beach is about 2 hours away. Other than that though there's stacks of lovely grade 4 & 5 single pitch on 3 rock types all within 15 minutes drive, there's family stuff like caves, castles, birds of prey, etc. and of course there's every kind of walking terrain.
Weather in October is probably more reliable than any other month and it's often cool enough to climb in the sun rather than seeking shade - expect sun and low 20's with maybe one day of unsettled in a week.
Let me know if I can help with any more info.
John
In reply to janeho: I can only comment on Mallorca and Sicily from experience. Sicily is (San Vito) brill. You can stay right next to the rocks in a campsite type thing with a pool/shop. The rock we played on was full of friction it was that untouched.

Locals are lovely (as were in Mallorca). San Vito beach is stunning.

The Zingaro trail to secluded beaches is cracking with things to do and see on the walk in.

Big towns nearby (including one on the top of a hill with fun drive up to it (Erice, googlemaps 38.035695,12.590684) and is very picturesque and a tourmap for kids to run round finding attractions.

And no lager louts going to Magaluf on the flight is a big bonus!
 Tom Hutton 16 Jun 2012
In reply to Peter Herold:
> (In reply to janeho) Round where we live in Sardinia is better for non-climbing activities than Cala Gonone, people tell us: kayaking is a firm favourite with families and kids, you hire all the stuff from Cardedu Kayak, see their photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/sardegnaseakayak/5815524215/ more walks (see Rother and Cicerone guides). There aren't crags like Budinetto with loads of 5's, but lots of crags have 4-5-6 5's, plenty for a day.
> Remember Sardinia is bigger than Wales with higher mountains, and just llike Wales there are lots of areas each with its own characteristics.
> Good luck Peter

In reply to Peter Herold: Would add that Peter and Anne run a lovely place there, and the walking I've done - some with them - has been great..
 Rob Exile Ward 17 Jun 2012
In reply to janeho: Have you considered Nice? It's a great city and there's plenty of sport climbing about, especially in nearby Monaco etc. Or you can go inland for a day of VFs in the Alpes Maritime.
janeho 19 Jun 2012
In reply to janeho:
thanks again everyone.
Flights to Sardinia are looking a bit awkward, to get there on the low cost airlines from up north involves a flight to somewhere like pisa/ milan and then, a second flight to Sardinia, of course with good planning that could mean a evening exploring a different place but does add a bit of hassle. Sicily sounds promising and the idea of doing some via ferrrata from Nice is attractive. I did consider the dolomites/ via ferrata but it sounds like there is too high a possibility of snow there in october. We looked into Tenerife as well but the air fares seem to be a lot more in line with the longer flight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...