UKC

Faroe Island climbing next week?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 67hours 12 Jul 2020

I'm off to the Faroe Islands next Thursday for 10 days. Whilst theoretically a holiday with my (non-climbing) wife, I've permission to climb if I can find someone based there who fancies an adventure?

I'm coming from Salzburg, Austria, but I've 10 years of experience leading UK trad - probably around HVS right now, including plenty of adventurous trips such as a week on Mingulay.

Is there any good climbing to found? Any adventurous locals fancy a day out between 17th - 25th July?

George

Red Rover 12 Jul 2020
In reply to 67hours:

I think most of the rock in the Faroes is really loose. Here is an old thread about it:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/destinations/climbing_in_the_faroe_island...

Looks like fantastic hiking though.

jimtitt 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

There's a climbing club on the island who have bolted some big sea-cliff routes and one or two inland sport cliffs, one for school courses. I supply the bolts for their mostly via the Danish federation.

OP 67hours 13 Jul 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Thanks both - 

@Red Rover - I found that thread just after I posted yes. I've been to The Quiraing, the idea of climbing cliffs made of that stuff sounds awful.

@Jim - I'll look them up now, I found one bolted crag (Norðradalur) marked on UKC, I guess this is the one you refer to  

Sl@te Head 13 Jul 2020
In reply to 67hours:

I visited the Faroe Islands a few years ago  it's well worth a visit

There's some amazing cliffs and not all of the rock is poor, I think some bolting took place shortly after my trip. I remember looking down at the lines they bolted thinking they would be awesome if bolted and wished I had my drill with me....

youtube.com/watch?v=10uM6IU8S6U&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...