UKC

Favourite Ski destinations. Northern Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 07 Jan 2018
Can anyone recommend some favourite ski spots in the northern alps? I will be heading down for snowy adventures in February in the van and hoping to visit some of the smaller resorts if only for a couple of days before moving on. I'm not looking to avoid the largest resorts necessarily, just wondered what the alternatives might be! Any thoughts?
 John Ww 07 Jan 2018
In reply to Removed UserParadad:

Oberstdorf? Right on the German / Austrian border, very nice town centre, lots of variety in the skiing, and a free bus service. Oh, and about 2m of snow when we left on Christmas Eve.
 Toerag 08 Jan 2018

Skiing or Skitouring?
If it's skiiing and you're competent enough, then there are various places with what I class as 'unmaintained' runs - I believe no-one patrols them and piste bashers are rarely used if at all. Examples would be Laber above Overammergau, and Wank at Garmisch-Partenkirchen. You've a high chance of finding some untracked powder at these places if you're there at the right time.
If it's touring, then look at the Hoernle traverse from the lift to the Stierkopf taking in the 3 Hornle peaks on the way. You could skin up to the Hoernlehutte in about 2 hours from the carpark or take the chairlift. Either descend to Unter/Oberammegau (some walking through woods required) or return to the hut and down the pistes.
Removed User 10 Jan 2018

Thanks both. Yeah, skiing and maybe a little touring too. The hoernlee traverse rings a bell... I'll look that up. Thank you.
Any thoughts on the western alps at all? Getting recommendations for smaller rsorts is extremely useful. Some really good ones barely appear in searches. (E.g. Allos in s. Alps)
Removed User 10 Jan 2018

These are great recommendations, thank you. Just 8hrs drive from Amsterdam too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...