UKC

Ferries To Font and Cheapest Time to go (for the nth time)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Boulderdash86 02 May 2012
Have searched the forums and most posts are Going to Font/ lift required/wanted/where to Camp.

Just wondering which Ports are the cheapest tickets from UK to France - looking at 24th Aug - 2nd Sept 12 for about 6/7 of us so 1 Van and a Car, been doing a lot of googling cheap ferries crossing but there are so many Ports to choose from, think last time we went from Dover to Calais (but that was long ago).

Also are the dates above Peak time or can others suggest possibly cheaper dates?

Also thought about just turning up and seeing if there are any last minute cheap spaces going/ over night trip to keep costs down. Did also look at the Bolder Bus - but only runs a few times.

Bruce Hooker 02 May 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86:

Dover to Calais is about all that's left, there are no ferries from Folkstone or going to Boulogne anymore. Newhaven - Dieppe still runs but is not a good bet, unless you lived in Newhaven possibly - more expensive and longer crossing. Some ferries go Dover to Dunkerque, but it's a longer crossing too - for vans and trailers it used to be cheaper.

I always take the tunnel these days as I buy a 10 trip voucher which works out cheaper, but for a single trip the tunnel is usually more expensive. The cheapest varies so you just have to check out the ferry lines, there aren't that many, Eurotunnel, LD lines, P&O... a quick google is required as there have been a few changes of late - Sea France has gone under, Speeferries too a while ago, a pity as it was the cheapest.

Whatever you do book and buy in advance, turning up and buying at the port is much more expensive... again years ago this was quite standard but internet has changed all that.
OP Boulderdash86 02 May 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker: Thanks for that - yeah when I went back in 05 we turned up and got a uber cheap overnight crossing. Moretime googling then.
 Bruce Hooker 02 May 2012

I used to just turn up and buy a ticket but haven't for years. It may still be possible but if so I suggest making sure beforehand, but I doubt it is still possible cheaply.
 GrahamD 02 May 2012

Tunnel cost £99 for this weekend
 patsaunders 02 May 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: i have just booked tickets Dover/Calais return DFDS ferries £19.50 each way and £1 booking fee, this was on all ferry times. Used them at easter and they are fine as far as ferries go.
 Bertbee 02 May 2012

You can get a Megabus from London to Paris for £8 return. I went this weekend, having only booked about 5 weeks in advance.

It drops you off in Port Maillot in North West Paris; I'd suggest renting a car there and driving down to Font.
 Bruce Hooker 02 May 2012

I'm looking myself, but for a car and trailer, which works out double, alas, and found another ferry line which seems quite well priced: it's called DFDS Seaways, although it is in fact the same as Norfolk lines, as their web address shows. They now propose a crossing from Dover to Calais as well as Dunkirk and seem quite cheap. Might be worth having a look. They charge more for over 5m long but that's ok for most cars.

http://www.norfolkline.fr/ferry/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...