UKC

Font to tunnel, Place to sleep

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 19 Jul 2020

Hi

Does anyone know of a good place to stop for the night in a camper van between Font and the tunnel, and about an hour from the tunnel? 

Thanks 

Pedro50 19 Jul 2020
In reply to David Coley:

An aire?

Dave Cundy 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

That's where we used to doss, thirty years ago.  We got a midnight ferry crossing and drove an hour or so into France, stopping at a nice discreet aire on the autoroute.  Then, up at 7 and back on the horse, alpswards.

We never drove there after the millenium, everyone fancied a cheap flight and a hirecar instead.

In reply to David Coley:

Cap Gris Nez (?) about 40 mins along the coast from Calais has served me well. Some moderately interesting fortifications to explore

James Malloch 20 Jul 2020
In reply to David Coley:

There’s an app called park4night which lists van spots on a map. Often has photos and reviews. 

If you’ve not used it before it could be a worth a look.

Mark Haward 20 Jul 2020
In reply to David Coley:

The Aires are usually a good bet but watch out as the ones closest to Calais have been closed for a while. I think the Aire de Rely may be the one you are after.

Ben Farley 20 Jul 2020

Google maps and street view. Can be more time consuming than using an app, but has helped me find out of the way spots many, many times.

Whilst its great that apps are allowing sharing of info, they do honeypot people and inevitably, some spots soon become popular. Previously quiet places appear on an app and then there are always vans there. Before long a no overnight parking sign will appear. I know I sound like I am wanting to keep places quiet or exclusive, thats not it, I just worry with such a rise in van sleeping that it will become unsustainable.

innes 20 Jul 2020
In reply to David Coley:

My advice, David, would be to stop much further than an hour away from Calais...

Ive been rudely awoken by armed police in the small hours when dossing in my van in Aires near Calais. I think they were checking for people smugglers. 

I now stop well away from Calais and just get up early for a longer drive to the port/tunnel.  Something to think about...? 

OP David Coley 20 Jul 2020

Thanks everyone 

BruceM 20 Jul 2020
In reply to David Coley:

There are motorway aires (which I think some people are talking about) and then, official Municipal Aires de Service as shown in park4night website etc.

I wouldn't stop in motorway aires anymore, and now only use official (Municipal) Aires on the return trip.  Depends on your direction of travel, but there are quite a few options an hour from Calais.  Check the park4night map view.

Unless somebody knows that these official Municipal Aires are generally closed because of COVID?  Have been interested in that question myself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...