UKC

Gibraltar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lanky 08 Feb 2013
Just got details im of to Gibraltar to work for 3 weeks, See theres plenty of DWS and Trad but cant find any guides? and are there any climbing shops? flight allowance wont allow me to bring all my kit. Thanks in advance.
 escalator 08 Feb 2013
In reply to lanky:

Hi

In reality climbing is not allowed in Gibraltar unless you have "prior written consent of the Authority" (taken from the gibraltarlaws.gov. If you want to climb there then I would suggest you follow this option. The Government of Gibraltar (GoG) have recently realised that the number of climbers has increased as a result of the work that a few dedicated active climbers have been doing. This has caused them to sit up and take notice, as a result they have clamped down and that is why I started with alerting you to what they are now pushing. They are in fact in the process of bringing in a 'Climbing License'.

There is an active Climbing Association in Gibraltar and they (we) are currently working with the GoG to release authorised areas/crags. The GoG is very protective of the wildlife and plants that it has, and as such all of the areas that look like they could be climbed fall within the Upper Rock Nature Reserve, in 2011 they included all of the areas that did not fall into the URNR, so now (technically) all of the sea cliffs and any other rock faces are also off limits; unless you get written permission.

I have had several meeting with the Environmental Agency (there are other agencies and departments invovled as well), including one last week, and things are looking positive, but it will be some time before they sanction anything.

There is not an official guide book, however, there are a few people that can tell you the crags/routes/grades. If you take it upon yourself to climb there then be aware that there is a lot of loose rock, of which most is above areas that people work and live in. As it is a small place you will almost certainly attract attention to yourself as soon as you start climbing.

You might want to limit yourself to some DWS for now, as it is likely to cause the least hassle for you and be least visible.

When will you be in Gib?

ES

silo 08 Feb 2013
In reply to lanky: It will be a bit cold for dws but there's some great boulding. when you arrive contact me and i'll give details.

Si
OP lanky 08 Feb 2013
In reply to silo: Thanks for the reply from the pair of you, and a good big write up from escalator, im flying in on wednesday, bouldering would be good, only get sundays of so will be busy but evenings should be free if not to cold.
Cheers
J
 escalator 08 Feb 2013
In reply to lanky:

I'm sure silo will sort you out.

I've just flown out to Germany again, otherwise I could have got you climbing in Spain for sure. I'll pm you if I get back within the time you mentioned.
OP lanky 09 Feb 2013
In reply to escalator: Grand maybe see you then, and i'll contact silo when I get there.
Taa
J

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...