UKC

Good/cheap place to go sport climbing during Christmas holidays

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RossPencovich 07 Oct 2013
Can anyone suggest a good but cheap(ish) place to go sport climbing during the christmas holidays? I'm based in Glasgow and not yet old enough to rent a car abroad so it couldn't really be miles and miles away from an airport. e all climb round about the 7b-7c area if that helps.

Thanks
OP RossPencovich 07 Oct 2013
In reply to RossPencovich: *We
 Dan Arkle 07 Oct 2013
Go to El Chorro, cheap flights, cheap train transfer, cheap accomodation within walking distance from the crags.
I've camped at Finca de Campana, the Olive Branch also has a good reputation or you can stay in the squalid refugio for peanuts.

And the climbing is good at those grades too.
OP RossPencovich 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle: How is El Chorro regarding quality of routes? Dont know if its true but I have heard a lot of the bolts are ancient :/
 Ciro 08 Oct 2013
In reply to RossPencovich:
> (In reply to Dan Arkle) How is El Chorro regarding quality of routes? Dont know if its true but I have heard a lot of the bolts are ancient :/

Bolts are fine. Lots of really good lines in the 7s. You can get a train to Alora, do your shopping for the week at the supermarket, and get Gary from the Olive Branch to pick you up for a small fee. If you camp at the OB it's pretty cheap, and you get to use the big communal kitchen. Highly recommended.
 Ciro 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciro:

Oh, one thing that's not so fine though is some of the guidebook route lengths - take the long ones with a pinch of salt and an attentive belayer or knot in the end of the rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...