UKC

Gordale scar campsite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravy 27 Jul 2020

Does anyone know if the Gordale scar campsite is open? Maybe my googling is a bit weak today but I couldn't get a definitive answer...

1poundSOCKS 27 Jul 2020
In reply to gravy:

Do you know if the road's even open yet? I've been to Gordale a few times and had to walk from Malham. But this was weeks ago.

Post edited at 16:10
 Georgert 27 Jul 2020
In reply to gravy:

Have you tried their phone number? There's an answer machine message from the owner saying there'll be no camping / caravanning for the remainder of the year. We kipped overnight at the top a couple of weeks ago, near the tarn, and weren't moved on. Just get your tent up at night and have it down before the punters arrive in the morning and you'll be fine. 

Sean_J 27 Jul 2020
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Signs in Malham still up saying that the road to Gordale was closed, this was on Thursday.

OP gravy 27 Jul 2020
In reply to Sean_J:

Ok thanks folks - where's the easiest place to park up for the walk in? never done without the campsite before and I can see the potential for pissing people off by parking in the wrong spot.

petegunn 27 Jul 2020
In reply to gravy:

You can park up at the top as for Stoney Bank and walk down into the gorge that way.

OP gravy 28 Jul 2020
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks folks!

OP gravy 28 Jul 2020
In reply to petegunn:

The road (Gordale Lane) is closed by the council up to and including 21 October 20...

dominic o 30 Jul 2020
In reply to petegunn:

> You can park up at the top as for Stoney Bank and walk down into the gorge that way.

We tried to do exactly this on Tuesday and found the waterfall in impressive spate - just making the crossing to the Light area would have been hazardous and a descent to the main area was Grade 5 White Water! There had been a lot of rain the previous day, so might be more amenable now. 

1poundSOCKS 30 Jul 2020
In reply to dominic o:

The walk from Malham village to Gordale isn't much worse than walking to the cove.

In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

What even worse than the 1000 metre flat walk from the village to the cove! 

Lankyman 31 Jul 2020
In reply to John Stainforth:

> What even worse than the 1000 metre flat walk from the village to the cove! 

It's a lot worse, John - there's at least 50m of ascent along that lane and, if it's closed, there won't be the brew wagon at the end. It's a pile of sh*t all round.

1poundSOCKS 31 Jul 2020
In reply to John Stainforth:

> What even worse than the 1000 metre flat walk from the village to the cove! 

What I said just means it's longer, not that the walk to the cove is long or hard.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...