UKC

Gorge du Tarn summer hols

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ShropshireDad 23 Feb 2020

Gorge du Tarn late August? Which way do the crags face and will it be too hot? Not on a mission to climb harder routes - mileage and a family holiday for a family of climbers.

AJM 23 Feb 2020
In reply to ShropshireDad:

My recollection is a combination of East, south and west, so there'll be shade at different times of day but I don't recall much perma-shady stuff...

Rob Kennard 23 Feb 2020

It'll be pretty warm! Crags face in most directions but the ambient temperature will likely be high. There isn't a great deal of easier stuff on the crags that will be in the shade in the afternoons either.

ChrisJD 24 Feb 2020

We spent the last week of August there a few years back and it was perfect temperature (things often really cool off late August).

Take an inflatable canoe/dingy for some extra family fun on the river. And there are some good trails to be found for mountain biking if you like rocks and tech descents.

Post edited at 10:29
 Rory Shaw 24 Feb 2020

I've been in July and August though only did 1 days climbing.

Definitely take something to float down the rivers on - top fun.

The road biking is fantastic round there.

R

coldfell 24 Feb 2020

We found easier climbing hard to find, and often monopolised by groups top roping. However the area is stunning especially swimming/kayaking in the river. There is a superb via ferrata at Mostuejoules and an impressive balcony walk seeing the best geological features of the gorge and amazing griffon vultures.

Dorine

Mike Shamash 24 Feb 2020

There is also Gorge de la Jonte and Gorge du Boffi both really close by.

I have been in summer and there was no problem finding shady/sunny faces to enjoy.

mike

mark catcher 24 Feb 2020
In reply to ShropshireDad: Mialet is not too far, nice grades, faces north, swimming in the river, 2 minutes walk in. It’s on the ClimbingAway app.

climbingpixie 24 Feb 2020

I've done last week of Aug/first week of September at the Tarn. I'm not a fan of hot temperatures but it was manageable. It will be hot but the guidebooks are pretty good at indicating the times each crag gets the sun/shade and all the crags are really close together so it's possible to chase the shade. We found that it's worth taking a very long lunch as even when crags got the shade in the afternoon they took a while to cool down from all the morning sun.

Take lots of chalk, be prepared to move around between crags, avoid slabs and enjoy a long lunchbreak (preferably with some paddling) and you'll have a great trip! Oh, there's some really cool caves nearby you can tour as well when the heat really gets to you and your tips need some time to grow back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...