UKC

Gothenburg - sport and bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 19 May 2019

I'm going to Gothenburg on Friday and would quite like to get some climbing in whilst there. 

Does anyone know if there's a particular guide to go for or whether sites such as 27 crags are sufficient? 

Also whether there is anywhere to hire pads out there to save me adding extra luggage onto our flight?

Any crag recommendations with stuff in the low 6 to low 7 range would be great too - both sport and boulder.

Thanks!!

In reply to James Malloch:

Utby and the adjoining crags have what you want and can be accessed from the city centre by bus if need be.

sanguine 20 May 2019

If u go on to the climbing in gothenburg Facebook group (search för Klättring Göteborg med omnejd) they all speak English and you may be able to sort out a hire or lend situation. 

For bouldering the one place to go they say is the island of Hönö (https://gbo.crimp.se/hono/) - access easily enough with public transport and am sure u can sort a rental bike also easy. For sport, there are some sport walls in Utby (can get the bus there from town - the number 58 should see u right). Check the Utby page on ukclimbing- I think Rabies wall is the only full sport crag. There are other sport only crags also in the area but tbh it is most famous for its granite trad climbing. 

If it's raining then there are 3 top quality indoor climbing halls too inside the Town, all with different character - klätterfabriken (old school hard) klätterdomen (offers all forms and plenty of bouldering and auto belay) and klätterlabbet (more mainstream, less bouldering but big walls)

If u need more advice PM me and depending on how long you need it I can lend you a guidebook. Also worth swinging by the local climbing shop Fjällsport and get tips from the guys there too. U may even be able to arrange a rental of a mat through them if u give them a call- they all speak English excellently.

OP James Malloch 24 May 2019

Apologies for my late reply but all the information you sent is extremely useful, thank you!

We have decided against bringing our sport gear (it's a lot to carry and my shoulder is pretty painful at the moment) however hopefully we will be able to visit Hönö as I think we are able to hire a pad from one of the local shops. It looks like there is enough on 27Crags for what we need - however thank you for the offer of a guide, that's really generous!

If my shoulder remains bad (physio advised against climbing yesterday...) then we may end up just seeking out some nice running, walking, cycling and canoeing instead.

Really looking forward to the trip either way - we've been intending to visit the city for a while!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...