UKC

Gothenburg - When to visit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 19 Jan 2018

We're hoping to visit family in Gothenburg this year and would ideally tie it in with some Sport Climbing & Bouldering.

Does anyone know when the "best" months to visit are?

Doug 19 Jan 2018
In reply to James Malloch:

have you seen the recent article on nearby Bohuslän ?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/bohuslaumln_sweden-10050

sanguine 19 Jan 2018

Hello James

The trad climbing season in Gothenburg traditionally kicks off with the Climb-In festival, in early April. 
But for sport (not much about compared to trad and not my thing tbh), and bouldering (more of that) it appears that ppl are getting out earlier. I've been out on Hönö already in December, and there seems to be a fair cohort of locals who boulder all year around. 

But if you are getting here for more than just bouldering/sport, then I would advise April and beyond, if nothing more than the improved weather and sunlight. 

HakanT 19 Jan 2018

For a pleasant experience, June through August. The days are long and the weather is reasonably warm. I climbed in Göteborg for four years, an I can't remember it ever being too hot to climb, but I did experience snow in May.

DanielJ 19 Jan 2018

If you cant travel on forecast, april is a good bet. I wouldnt recommend summertime if you can choose whenever, its quite often wet or to warm. (At least for boulder and sportclimbing in the sun)

I dont boulder but in your grades 6c-7b the sportclimbing at Hyltebergen and Rabies (6-7km from city centre) and most of the crags on and around Orust and Tjörn (30-45 minutes with car) is a safe bet. The guidebook ”Klättring i Göteborg med omnejd” is your friend for these areas.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...