UKC

Haar situation in Fife (31/5/21)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 icehockeyhair 31 May 2021

Haar is currently thick down by the shore in Granton in Edinburgh (and has been for most of the past 2 days). Thinking of heading over to Fife this evening and wondering how it is over there. Any locals got a view?

OwenM 31 May 2021
In reply to icehockeyhair:

It's 12.50 and I'm on the A92 near Burntisland.  The sun is shining and it's really very nice.

Slackboot 31 May 2021

I'm well into my 60's now and I have never come across the word 'Haar' before! I had to look it up. And I have lived on the East coast most of that time. Thank you for using the term. I am off to give myself a good thrashing for being so unobservant. 

OP icehockeyhair 31 May 2021
In reply to OwenM:

Thanks, its cleared up in Granton now so I can finally see Burntisland!

OP icehockeyhair 31 May 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

Interesting! Was used a lot when I was growing up in Easter Ross. Today I've learnt that in NE England they use the term 'sea fret' (https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/what-sea-fret-how-coastal-fog-clouds-ou...).

Slackboot 31 May 2021

That's right and that's where I've lived most of the time. The dictionary said it was a term used on the East coast of Scotland and England but we always say sea fret. 

OwenM 31 May 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

It's a viking word so it's been around for a while. 

Slackboot 31 May 2021
In reply to OwenM:

Thought it sounded vikingish. I am going to start using it. Was walking part of Cleveland Way yesterday along the cliffs near Staithes and the hot sunny day was made chilly by the sea fret lurking there. If only I knew the word ' haar' then I would have annoyed everyone all day with my grasp of norse.

skog 31 May 2021
In reply to OwenM:

> It's a viking word so it's been around for a while. 

Dutch, I think.

nickg_oxford 31 May 2021

St Andrews: Finally eased up about an hour ago - been gloomy all day...and follows 2 days of haar thus faar..

Slackboot 31 May 2021
In reply to skog:

You are right. Just looked that up as well. I can annoy everyone with my grasp of Middle Dutch instead of Norse.

OwenM 31 May 2021
In reply to skog:

> Dutch, I think.

I've always believed it to old Norse, but then there aren't many old Norsemen around any more to verify it. So who knows.

Fredt 31 May 2021

Coincidentally the term Haar was used on this morning's ITV weather forecast.

streapadair 31 May 2021
In reply to OwenM:

Chamber's 20th Century gives the derivation 'O.N. harr'.

Removed User 31 May 2021
In reply to streapadair:

Skimming Google I see that both Norse and Dutch are given as possible roots. I guess it's one of those Northern European words that gets used in a lot of countries but slightly differently, like Dale/Dal/Tal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...