UKC

Hand baggage limits being checked Oslo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wbo2 27 Nov 2019

You often see threads here along the line of "can I take such  and such' in my hand baggage.  Heads up that I'm on an Oslo London flight and they're checking hand baggage for weight and size, charging fof it and sending items to the hold.  Which personally I'm fully supportive of , so dont take the p. packing for Rjukan 

In reply to wbo2:

Good.
A carry-on hard shell case + a 30l rucksack + a 10l handbag doesn't count as acceptable carry-on luggage in my book!
I saw this more than once on my last flight.

Jon Read 27 Nov 2019
In reply to wbo2:

Depends on your airline: BA don't have a weight limit for carry on.

summo 27 Nov 2019
In reply to wbo2:

The weight test should be can you lift it above your head and lower it under control. You see so many folk wheeling dollies they can barely lift. 

Neil Williams 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

> Depends on your airline: BA don't have a weight limit for carry on.

Nor do sleasyJet.

In reply to summo:

> The weight test should be can you lift it above your head and lower it under control. You see so many folk wheeling dollies they can barely lift. 

That does raise an interesting question on fairness, as I weigh about 120kg myself and can quite readily lift a 30kg rucksack above my head to shove up on the train out of the way (not that I'd have one quite that heavy on a plane due to the size limitation).  However, that means my ticket price gets me 150kg, but might get someone a lot smaller only about 80kg.

summo 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

It's more the fact that since the creation of dollies people can move a fair weight around the airport as hand luggage, but are incapable of lifting them into the over head lockers without the risk of landing it somebody's head. 

Jon Read 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

> That does raise an interesting question on fairness, as I weigh about 120kg myself and can quite readily lift a 30kg rucksack above my head to shove up on the train out of the way (not that I'd have one quite that heavy on a plane due to the size limitation).  However, that means my ticket price gets me 150kg, but might get someone a lot smaller only about 80kg.

That's already costed into your ticket, in that at 120kg your economy seat is probably considerable more uncomfortable than it is for my smaller 55kg frame!

In reply to Jon Read:

> That's already costed into your ticket, in that at 120kg your economy seat is probably considerable more uncomfortable than it is for my smaller 55kg frame!

Yeah, I suspect the "torture tax" makes the difference up!

freeflyer 27 Nov 2019
In reply to summo:

Isn't that what the cabin staff and other passengers are for?

Alternatively perhaps they could change the wire frame baggage check thingy to be at locker height and tell passengers that if they can do a clean and jerk and get it in, they can take it on board.

Frank R. 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

So I could take a 500 pound carry on full of lead (if I could ever lift it above my head) ? Would still count as carry on by most airlines dimensions...

jimtitt 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Frank R.:

Portable generator in one hand and my toolbox in the other on a flight to Slovenia, 68kg. I've also had 400 bolts in hand luggage.

Jon Read 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Frank R.:

I think they might ask you to 'deplane' once you've broken the overhead bins. The sound of the hernia going would give you away

My apologies all, BA do have a limit of 23kg for each piece of hand luggage: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/hand-ba...

earlsdonwhu 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

> That's already costed into your ticket, in that at 120kg your economy seat is probably considerable more uncomfortable than it is for my smaller 55kg frame!

..... unless the bigger person is overflowing into your seat!

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> ..... unless the bigger person is overflowing into your seat!

I do fit...just.

Frank R. 28 Nov 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

What? Haven't you heard about the sacred armrest rules?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...