UKC

Harpur hill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
88Dan 17 Apr 2019

Hi all from a forum newbie.

I haven't climbed at Harpur hill for about four years, I climbed here a lot over the years ticking off many routes in the process. I used to park near the karting place or near the research place. I never had any hassle with parking or being asked to leave. while walking in one day I spotted a pair climbing on the dark side and saw a man walking by himself near the cairn area, other than that I never saw anyone there so I must have been lucky. I did hear people on bikes occasionally and did once see two guys on quad bikes. recently I have been reeding about problems with parking, more idiots on bikes using the place and even bigger idiots taking a dip in the toxic blue lagoon. not to mention climbers getting parking tickets, having their cars clamped and being asked to leave by police along with the idiots in the lagoon.

Has there been any change in the access agreement or parking in recent years? I read a while ago that Gary Gibson has done a lot of rebolting at Harpur hill. it would be a shame if all that hard work was for nothing. is it worth going back or should I find somewhere else to go?

EarlyBird 17 Apr 2019
In reply to 88Dan:

Probably worth parking down in Harpur - Grin Low Road or Harpur Hill Road - and walking up via Fiddle Street or the bike path up past The Parks Inn as there have been issues with parking up on the industrial estate. No real difference in the time it takes to walk in. No problems with access although it's still unofficial. You do get the bikers up there on occasion but live and let live, eh?

Michael Hood 17 Apr 2019
In reply to EarlyBird:

And on a sunny hot day there will be a lot of people about or in Costa del toxic blue pool

88Dan 17 Apr 2019
In reply to 88Dan:

What I never understood and still don't understand is if there is no formal access agreement and the powers that be don't want anyone climbing there, why didn't the put a stop to it before Gary Gibson and others put so much time money and effort in to bolting the place? what's the point of allowing people to bolt it for climbing purposes and then stop anyone climbing there? regardless of who owns the land, it's not as if they will be able to do anything with the land after quarrying operations finished.

I understand the ravers swimmers and off road bikers that use the place and think they can do what they like and park where they like and leave litter everywhere, not to mention they can be and are a pain in the arse, but it's so unfair that climbers get lumped in to that category too. ok so there will be climbers out there who don't give a toss and think they can do what they please too, but in general it's unfair to tar us all with the same brush.

88Dan 17 Apr 2019
In reply to 88Dan:

I would also interested to know how many people have been asked to leave by police or the land owner. also how many people have had parking tickets or had their car clamped.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...