UKC

Heading back to the Peloponnese.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mikethebike 21 Feb 2023

Hi all.

Heading back out to Greece (Peloponnese) next week. Have already spent time in and around leonidio area. Just got the new panjika updated guide which has some new stuff in but is any of it good enough to entice us back ? (Nice images and no stars sometimes don't tell the full story)

Any new development anywhere else? We climbed a little around Sparti area and had a couple of great days at lagada . There was ongoing equipping there,any info available?

Nafplio area seemed to have some new crags popping up. Again,any info would be appreciated.

We will head to manikia first,which looks great. Has anyone been?

Thanks 

Mikey 

Robert Durran 21 Feb 2023
In reply to Mikethebike

> We will head to manikia first,which looks great. Has anyone been?

I went to Manikia last year at the end of March/start of April. We found it extremely disappointing. The main crags were sunny and too hot and the quality very mediocre compared with other areas we had climbed in. The big steep tufa crags did look like they might be better if you climb in the upper 7's or 8's, but still somehow looked shoddy compared to the big crags elsewhere. We were having such a rubbish time that we wrote off the cost of several days' accomodation, rebooked and bailed out to the Peloponnese to salvage the trip. The area seemed a bit of a backwater, which did have a certain non-touristy charm. I wouldn't recommend it, but others' opinions would be interesting.

The Patras area sounds like it might be very good.

Post edited at 09:07
OP Mikethebike 21 Feb 2023
In reply to Mikethebike:

Interesting.....

We have the manikia guide(petzl catalogue).

It looks good on paper!.

Patras area is on the list.

Thanks 

Carless 21 Feb 2023
In reply to Mikethebike:

I suppose you visited Kyparissi when in Leonidio?

If not, well worth some days

OP Mikethebike 21 Feb 2023
In reply to Carless:

Yes,we spent a little time there but struggled with pretty wet routes. Hoping things will be drier this time around.

We also climbed at Arcadia,Agios Andreas and Agios Sofia. Thoroughly enjoyed all of those spots but climbed most of what we could hence looking for some new areas.

Mike

dominic o 22 Feb 2023
In reply to Mikethebike:

Hi Mikey 

We're huge Leonidio fans, but you're right - there's SO MUCH MORE to climbing in the Peloponnese! We've visited pretty much every crag in Greece in the Yaris "Selected Guide", with beta and pics here: https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/category/greece/

Specifically in the Peloponnese, there's lots to go at around Nafplio, the crags on the pass over to Kalamata (Nedusa and Lagada) are spectacular, and Zobolo is a really tranquil spot. https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/category/greece/peloponnese/

Enjoy! Cheers, Dom 

OP Mikethebike 22 Feb 2023
In reply to dominic o:

Thanks for this Dom.

Did you climb any of the new stuff at zobolo? 

It looks like there's more sun and shade available on those new crags.

Lagada information would be great. We found plenty of newly equipped lines all over the place .

Cheers 

Mikey 

dominic o 22 Feb 2023
In reply to Mikethebike:

Hi Mikey 

All the info I have is on the blog - it's a much more reliable repository than my memory these days! The only thing I'd add about the Lagada crags was that there were a couple of car break-ins reported around the time we visited (5 years ago, so old news). Might be worth sticking with the standard "leave nothing of value" approach, if possible.

Have a good 'un! Cheers, Dom 

OP Mikethebike 24 Feb 2023
In reply to dominic o:

Blog is great ,thanks .

Plenty of broken glass at lagada when we were there.

I've read that geraki and nifada have also suffered break-ins too.  Empty car policy will be in place.

Mikey.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...