UKC

Hiking or Climbing in Namibia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marmolata 30 Dec 2021

In summer I plan to travel to Namibia for a two week road trip. I have planned a day in Naukluft, Erongo and the Waterberg region for hiking or climbing. I will do all of the usual sites like Namib and Etosha as well.

I couldn't find much in terms of guides or trail maps. Does someone have any helpful information for me?

Thank you

Robert Durran 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Marmolata:

> In summer I plan to travel to Namibia for a two week road trip. I have planned a day in Naukluft, Erongo and the Waterberg region for hiking or climbing. I will do all of the usual sites like Namib and Etosha as well.

> I couldn't find much in terms of guides or trail maps. Does someone have any helpful information for me?

I have been to Namibia twice climbing and travelling. It is an absolutely fabulous country. I've been to the Naukluft, Erongo, Etosha and The Namib. Are you missing out the main climbing attraction of the Spitzkoppe? I have written a destination article for UKC but it has not yet been published (I think they are holding off until travel becomes easier after covid). Mail me through here and I'll send you a copy. Happy to answer any other questions.

OP Marmolata 31 Dec 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

I had been thinking of doing Spitzkoppe during the drive from Swakopmund to Hohenstein. 

Will Email you about the article that would be a fabulous source.

Which clothing would one bring, I have a hard time figuring this out. The center region is already quite high up, and from what I've read it is not very hot in winter (August) but on the other hand it is in the desert... 

dominic o 01 Jan 2022
In reply to Marmolata:

Namibia is a fantastic place to visit, with the climbing as the icing on the cake along with the fantastic scenery, wildlife and culture. We also visited in August which seemed ideal conditions - I wrote a brief trip report as part of a wider look at desert climbing experiences around the globe which might be of interest https://doughton.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/just-deserts-climbing-in-arizo...

Enjoy! Cheers, Dom 

65 01 Jan 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

Your pics from that Namibia trip with Lucy and Shauna made me want to get off my arse and go climbing again more than anything else I've seen in Christ knows how long. It looked utterly amazing, brilliant lines and rock in a properly wild natural environment. I know someone who rode a motorbike though there some time ago and had nothing but great things to say about the people as well.

Robert Durran 02 Jan 2022
In reply to 65:

Yes, everything about it was brilliant. It is also a very "easy" country to travel in with excellent infrastructure for a car camping trip (and I think upmarket tourism). The only drawback of this is that, because tourism is mostly run by the white population (The Spitzkoppe cooperative is an exception), one can feel a bit divorced from contact with the black population. A very friendly and safe country to visit though.

Kevster 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Marmolata:

Namibia was awesome. 

Those cracks may need some decent cams tho. I didn't climb there beyond messing about at the bottom. But as a place, it's awesome. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...