UKC

How busy was the Lakes this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pec 17 May 2020

Anyone go to the Lakes this weekend, what's the situation there like re busyness of crags and car parks, vigilantes etc.

In principal I'd like to have gone but gave it miss and went to places that are quiet even in busy times, in part because the weather forecast just wasn't that great but also a) in case it was rammed with people released from incarceration and b) to avoid hassle with the local police and population.

I think the locals fears are almost entirely unfounded, especially with regard to bona fide climbers and walkers who are only going to park up and disperse in the hills but nontheless if they were to kick up a stink it doesn't help our cause in the long run so I thought it better to let things settle.

Having said all this, should a weather window open up soon I could probably get up midweek. So can I expect to find car parks closed and a brick through my window if I park in a lay-by or be chased off the hill by vigilante landowners or is it all remarkably normal?

Thanks in advance for any useful information.

Alpenglow 17 May 2020
In reply to pec:

I walked from Patterdale to Troutbeck via High Street on Saturday.

There were a reasonable amount of people about but I wouldn't say it was busy.

I did see a post last week where someone's campervan had its window smashed in a car park near Nether Wasdale, but I don't know if it was just a general break-in or COVID vigilante related.

PaulJepson 18 May 2020
In reply to pec:

The Lake District park authorities have requested that people stay away. Cumbria has some of the worst figures for Covid. Please respect their wishes if you are not local to the area. 

John Kelly 18 May 2020
In reply to pec:

Langdale was quiet all weekend

OP pec 18 May 2020
In reply to pec:

I was going to ask about car parks but found this so I'm posting it as it may be of use to others planning to visit.

https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/car-park-status

Post edited at 09:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...