UKC

How to create nice walking route from X to Y in Slovenia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 novice10 24 May 2023

I want to plan a walk from Postojna in Slovenia to Ljubljana in Slovenia. However I have come to the conclusion that picking from routes recommended by Google Maps is not necessarily the way to do it. Too much risk of issues like eg the path disappearing on sections of a perilously steep hillside with no other hiker in sight for miles on end, or recommending a route along ugly roads and so on.

Is there any map of the network of Slovenia's most pleasant walking/hiking routes and pilgrimage trails (showing numerous hiking routes all on the same map) from which I could choose sections which would get me from A to B? It would be good if it covers Slovenia, and even better if it covers other Balkan countries too!

NB, all I have so far is alltrails.com/slovenia , but unfortunately it seems to show routes individually rather than all at once.

e.ms355 24 May 2023
In reply to novice10:

it may also require adding routes together but have a look at Komoot too.. often find useful routes on there

The Norris 24 May 2023
In reply to novice10:

We used the outdoor active mapping app for our hikes in Slovenia, saved us having to buy loads of paper maps. 

You can add filters such as Slovenia>Routes>Hiking routes which allows you to view various recommended trails.

I had a quick scan around and some of the balkan maps are not quite as detailed as others, but hopefully still adequate for hiking.

I think you can get a free trial period which might cover your trip, or at minimum let you know if it offers what you're looking for.

OP novice10 24 May 2023
In reply to novice10:

Thanks all, I am checking these out. If anybody knows of a route better than 

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Postojna,+Slovenia/Logatec,+Slovenia/Vrhnik...

which correpsonds to Ljubjana-Piran on alltrails.com, then let me know as well!

NB my trip is not deliberately aimed at mountains, I prefer to ascend less than 500m per day with a limit of 1000m.

PawelP 24 May 2023
In reply to novice10:

You may also want to check out openstreetmap. The link below should show you that area in detail.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=11/45.9230/14.2733&layers=Y

Post edited at 12:50
 Kean 24 May 2023
In reply to novice10:

Hi. I live in Italy, not a million miles from Slovenia.

In the last year I've discovered the delights of route planning with Komoot, primarily for MTB, but it's been glorious! I've lived here since '95 and thought I'd pretty much 'done to death' the local area, but Komoot has come up with some real gem tours right close to home.

Anyhow, out of curiosity, I've just stuck in Postojna to Ljubljana using the 'hiking' setting and it's come up with what looks like a cracking meander that seems to link up loads of trails. Could at least be a good starting point for planning?

Lankyman 24 May 2023
In reply to novice10:

Have a look in Postojna caves if you can. Absolutely stunning and even got a train inside. Some of the karst limestone features are spectacular round there.

OP novice10 24 May 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

I will need to look into it, depending on the price of public transport back there (I am now in Logatec). I got a little taster of the remarkable rock formations in the area during my walk from Pivka Jama campsite northwards. Also on the campsite itself, there is what I can only describe as a very short sinkhole-like gorge (very very deep) immediately outside the reception building, which I assume is linked with the cave systems!

OP novice10 24 May 2023
In reply to Kean:

I followed a path planned by Komoot today and it was great on the whole. One drawback was being led to a river crossing which I wasn't confident about doing with all my rucksack containing laptop, tent etc. I will have a play with the app and see if it can be set to exclude paths with river crossings. (Might be ok if it's only 50cm deep and there is a meter stick to indicate current depth, but there was nothing to indicate the depth in my case.) 

Lankyman 25 May 2023
In reply to novice10:

You're in the right part of the world if at all interested in caves - the Slovenians basically invented the professional study of limestone/karst geology. I had a few weeks exploring the caves around there back in the eighties before moving up to the Julian Alps. It was still Yugoslavia and the caves were all classed as military sites since being used by local partisans in the Second World War.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...