UKC

Hoy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PeteDP 10 Jun 2021

Hi everyone, 

Heading to Hoy at the start of August and had a couple of questions. 

1. Does anyone know if the Bothy is open at the moment?

2. What length abseil line do you need to get into rora head for routes such as roaring fourties (saw 100m on the ukc comments). 

Any other tips or recommendations for Hoy are v. welcome.

Cheers!

Wil Treasure 10 Jun 2021
In reply to PeteDP:

I can't remember the length of our line, but we definitely didn't have a 100m rope for the ab into Roaring Forties. Maybe a 60? Abseiling off a cairn was an experience!

Gary Latter 10 Jun 2021
In reply to PeteDP:

Would probably be a good idea to take a couple of stakes to make for an easier (i.e. more relaxing!) abseil...

duncan 10 Jun 2021
In reply to Wil Treasure:

I think we used my 60m rope which reached the slope at the base from the cliff edge but, if I recall correctly, rigged from the cairn to the edge with long slings. Adding a hefty stake would be a public service. 

Gary Latter 10 Jun 2021
In reply to PeteDP:

Descent for Mucklehouse Wall: "via a 70m abseil, utilising long slings for equalising blocks and cairns(!)."

The descent described in the current (2004) Northern Highlands North guide, from an in situ peg (placed in 1991) is no longer viable.

Ean T 10 Jun 2021
In reply to PeteDP:

I placed a couple of stakes 2 years ago. If they're still there then you'll get down on a 60m, but take a bit of rigging rope to equalise the stakes and extend them to the cliff edge. If the stakes are gone you might need a 70m.

OP PeteDP 10 Jun 2021
In reply to PeteDP:

Thanks, everyone for the advice. Hoping the stakes Ean placed are still there and won't be lowering off a cairn. 

Sealwife 11 Jun 2021
In reply to PeteDP:

Be aware that all ferries are operating on reduced capacity owing to a requirement for social distancing and need to be booked in advance by phone (both fill up often several days in advance, particularly the crossings used by day trippers).  So make sure you get a booking done so you are not left on the pier.

OP PeteDP 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Sealwife:

Thanks for that. Was kind of waiting till relatively last minute for the forecast but will book sooner. Do you happen to know whether the Bothy is open? 

Sealwife 11 Jun 2021
In reply to PeteDP:

Sorry no.  If I manage to find out I will let you know. 

OP PeteDP 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Sealwife:

No worries but thanks!

malky_c 11 Jun 2021
In reply to PeteDP:

The bothy was locked last November due to COVID restrictions so I’d imagine it still is. I’m not entirely sure how you’d confirm that though.

StevieH 12 Jun 2021
In reply to PeteDP:

you should still be able to camp within the both walls.

and if the toilet is shut then you can get fresh water from the burn behind.

In reply to PeteDP: The bothy is mostly closed. By that I mean the main room. You can doss on the floor of the “toilet anteroom” with all the rat piss and poo. This info is from a visit a week or so ago, but things may be different by the time you get there.

Post edited at 20:28
 nuts and bolts 13 Jun 2021
In reply to PeteDP:

As Frank the Husky says the bothy was locked 10 days ago but not the toilet section (with resident rat). I ended up divvying outside and a few others were camping. Things may have changed since with further unlocking in Scotland. 

Also worth noting that Orkney ferries, who run the Stromness to Hoy ferry, have introduced a moronic system of booking (presumably for track and trace). This involves booking the ferry by phone at least 1 hour prior Worse still if you want to take the early ferry on Monday mornings you have to book it some time on the previous Saturday. The locals are severely peed off as you may imagine. 

Hopefully this madness has now been canned with the change in regulations but I wouldn't hold your breath.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...