UKC

Hut to hut with via ferratta ? suggestions where ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sarahjk 12 Jan 2013
I am dreaming about summer holidays already !

I want to do a hut to hut trip, save on carrying a tent etc but still 'go' somewhere. Possibly solo, not sure yet Looking for up to 2 weeks in school holidays, late July and August.

I have looked at the classics such as Tour de Mont Blanc and like the idea but worried about how busy it will be if taking alternate passes, maybe a peak on the way.

My other idea is to do a bit of Via Ferratta on the route, keep it interesting etc ! But no idea where, altho I know there is some in Slovenia that may work.

Anyone got any route suggestions ?

Thanks
 Nick_Scots 12 Jan 2013
Cicerone do a guide for walking around the Dolomites and have hut details so you could link the via ferrata as you go.
redsonja 12 Jan 2013
In reply to sarahkeast: slovenia is fantasic- the mountains and via ferratas are amazing and there are lots of huts. you wont be disappointed im sure
 Matt Amos 12 Jan 2013
In reply to sarahkeast: I'd second Slovenia. Been there once and planning to go in summer again. Take your bmc memebership, you can get discounts in the huts but I suppose that's true across Europe. Its meant to be a quieter in September in comparison to July and August.
OP sarahjk 13 Jan 2013
In reply to matta:

Anywhere other than Slovenia? I went there last summer, really enjoyed it, but fancy somewhere different.

No options on dates, has to be school holidays.
 Paul at work 13 Jan 2013
In reply to sarahkeast:

Brenta region of the Dolomites, would be my suggestion then.
 Rog Wilko 13 Jan 2013
In reply to sarahkeast: Another vote for Brenta Dolomites. We did a four day tour there back last century. We were quite a lot younger then and easily managed two huts in a day mostly - lunch at one, bed at the next. There was some exciting stuff - we took and used a rope, small axe and crampons.Takes you to some fantastic spots.
redsonja 13 Jan 2013
In reply to sarahkeast: high tatra?
 matsc 14 Jan 2013
In reply to sarahkeast:
The traverse of the Brenta done North to South is excellent.
Fly to Venice, train to trento and bus to Madonna di Campiglio. Short telepherique ride up to first hut.
I would recommend taking a lightweight set of crampons or instep crampons for the two easy dry glacier sections.
 Simon Caldwell 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Rog Wilko:
Another vote for the Brenta. If you take a rope then you can add in a summit or two.
ceri 14 Jan 2013
In reply to matta:
> (In reply to sarahkeast) I'd second Slovenia... Its meant to be a quieter in September in comparison to July and August.

Although be warned: we went in September and get several feet of early snow, which then froze solid, making finding the paths and not sliding off the mountains more interesting...
 JohnnyW 14 Jan 2013
In reply to sarahkeast:

Another for the Boccette Way, Brenta. Can be made a s hard or easy as you choose. Very amenable and beautiful area. Love it
OP sarahjk 14 Jan 2013
In reply to matsc: Thanks, will check it out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...