UKC

Ideas for a sport trip early July please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike reed 29 May 2022

I have a couple of ideas (usual suspects) but does anyone have any good possibly unusual suggestions please for some decent sport climbing, not too hot, with potential for climbing partners for the 1st to 9th July, short flight from Aberdeen/Scotland. 

Thanks
Mike. 

In reply to mike reed:

I have friends living close to siurana/arboli/margalef/montsant who manage to climb throughout the summer. 

john arran 29 May 2022
In reply to mike reed:

Plenty of shady crags here in Ariège that are fine in July, as long as you're climbing high 6s and above. Below that it's still very possible but it gets hard to find shady crags during the middle of the day.

The Pylon King 29 May 2022
In reply to mike reed:

Wye Valley? Ban y Gor is pretty shady.

Post edited at 21:05
OP mike reed 30 May 2022
In reply to john arran:

Thanks John. I have actually done a week there previously and it is on my short list. Cheers

OP mike reed 30 May 2022
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Cheers. I was thinking that may be too hot? I wonder if the crags further north would be a better option?

OP mike reed 30 May 2022
In reply to The Pylon King:

Hmmm, British sport is an option, and drivable, but depends on the weather gods eh…. Ta. 

GDes 30 May 2022
In reply to mike reed:

Vallouise, Brian on area, and down to rue des masques near guillestre. Shady, high altitude (relatively) and stunning place. 

Godwin 30 May 2022
In reply to mike reed:

I would look at Germany. A chum of mine, who knows of these matters, told me that British climbers tend not to be aware of a lot of the climbing in Germany, as their Summer coincides with ours, so tend to climb in the UK.
You may find something of use here https://www.cordee.co.uk/book-list.php?t=15&m=96&c=281&f=&p...

AlanLittle 30 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Although the first place Brits would tend to think of for sport climbing in Germany is the Frankenjura, where summer definitely isn't the best season. Can get very humid & sticky.

Obviously there are other options in the Alps, including a lot of excellent bolted multipitch around Berchtesgaden.

Godwin 30 May 2022
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Although the first place Brits would tend to think of for sport climbing in Germany is the Frankenjura, 

Possibly here lies the problem, and hence my chums comments.

Post edited at 10:52
 HannahC 30 May 2022
In reply to mike reed:

The Gorge du Tarn has some incredible climbing and plenty of shade. My partner climbs in the 7s and he thought the routes were some of the best he'd climbed, in the low-mid 6s it was good but not exceptional. I do wonder if it would feel too hot for in July despite being considered a summer venue. 

There is also good sport climbing in and around the Dolomites having done some on rest days from big routes or when the weather looked dubious. Sass Dlacia has some great routes and you can walk out of the campsite. I'm sure there is a weeks worth of good sport to be done. 

OP mike reed 30 May 2022
In reply to HannahC:

Thanks

OP mike reed 30 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Thank you, nice idea

tjekel 30 May 2022
In reply to mike reed:

answered this to the same question a while back: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/july_european_destinations-7...

OP mike reed 30 May 2022
In reply to tjekel:

Nice. Thanks, those are great suggestions! I even have friends nearby one or two of those

In reply to mike reed:

I have not been myself at that time of year, but climbing continues throughout the summer, it's just that the crags become limited and may not be the holiday postcard crags. I would imagine you could fund enough for a week.

A curveball to throw at you. The back wall of the Pison, Riglos. North facing, cool, enough for a week but not quite sport climbing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...