Loading Notifications...

Is Tenerife a good destination for sport?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 SiobhanStraver 30 Jul 2020

I'm looking at going away for a week on my own in the winter, and am attracted to Tenerife because it seems to have a great climbers hostel for finding partners. But is the climbing actually any good? The crags don't look mega inspiring, but I'm intrigued by the different rock type. 

Been looking into it a lot but it's hard to tell. I don't get to go away often and after all this lockdown want to be able to have fun but also push my grade, so don't want to end up anywhere too esoteric (have made mistakes with places in the past). Climbing about 7a now, hopefully harder by then.

(I know mainland Spain is great for the solo climber but I'm planning a long trip there so am not considering it for this week.) 

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated  

Anti-faff 30 Jul 2020
In reply to SiobhanStraver:

Some people seem to really like it. I’ve been once and thought it was naff. Arico gorge and a couple of other crags were okay but generally I found the climbing to be pretty uninspiring. 

The climbers hostel is pretty good, but the pubs and restaurants nearby were very average indeed. 

Iamgregp 30 Jul 2020

Have you though about Sardinia? Great climbing and a couple of good climbers hostels...

Mike-W-99 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Anti-faff:

Been once

What I enjoyed. 
The trad up at the cathedral
Walk up tiede

What I didnt
The sport we did was fairly average , grading very off
Car broken into, ruined the holiday.

Post edited at 14:26
 nikoid 30 Jul 2020

I found Tenerife a bit disappointing. I went in 2003 and the fact I haven't been back probably says it all. Someone has mentioned Sardinia which I would agree is much better. Sicily is good too. But I can't comment on ease of meeting up with other climbers.

Lankyman 30 Jul 2020

I thought it was OK for a short trip. I combined climbing with walking - there are some nice ones to do and you don't have to climb El Teide. There are good routes on a few good venues. It doesn't compare for quantity and quality with Sardinia or Mallorca though. Worth a trip but I wouldn't be desperate to go back.

Post edited at 14:33
 GrahamD 30 Jul 2020

I actually really enjoyed it for 5's and 6's.  I don't think the guidebook photos give the impression of  the variety of climbing styles needed.

HansStuttgart 30 Jul 2020

I liked it a lot, but part of that was exactly because it is different to mainland Spain, France, Italy, etc.

dominic o 30 Jul 2020

We had a great week there just before Christmas - photos and beta for 8 of the best crags here: https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/category/spain/canary-islands/

petegunn 30 Jul 2020

Its not a big sport climbing destination, but what's there is good fun and the landscape up by the volcano is amazing (like climbing on mars!) the climbing in the gorges around Arico are also interesting and you can do lots of climbs in a day. We never went up to the north of the island but I know a few who have. The walking is good with way marked trails and the sea is always warm. 

Its a nice holiday destination where you can go and climb rather than being solely a climbing holiday.

John Cuthbert 30 Jul 2020

It's never easy to adequately weigh up the costs and benefits of any particular climbing destination, but Tenerife has a great deal going for it. 

For me, it is culturally and geographically remarkable. As others have noted, this is no small thing.

The climbing is a little different, and Ok it's not consistently as good as El Chorro, Leonidio or Siurana (but way warmer than Sardinia in Dec/Jan), but I truly love Tenerife's mad, twisted rock for its challenge and aesthetic inspiration. 

Here's also a link to an informed report from a regular denizen, who I'm sure would also offer a wise word or two if u msg her on UKC.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/winter_sun_rock_destination_-_tenerife-4410

Let us know what u go for..

John C

I found driving up to Teide national park a bit of a nightmare. If you are staying at a sea level, that’s over 2000m of elevation gain every day. We went there for hiking which was a bit frustrating as getting up earlier still means driving for well over an hour and then getting scorched because sun is high up! 

Or maybe just make sure you don’t rent the cheapest car and don’t go during one of the warmest months (June) 

I never climbed in Tenerife, sorry. 

NaCl 31 Jul 2020
In reply to Anti-faff:

Pretty much sums up our experience. I don't regret going as it was somewhere new and frankly there's not that many easily accessible places for reliable warm weather in early Jan. That said it was pretty much a go-once type affair. The climbing was interesting enough if, as you say uninspiring, but there was at least enough of it to go at.

Highlights: walking up Teide overnight to watch the sunrise 

Lowlights: None really. It was fine although I do like places that are rather more unusual and memorable.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.