UKC

Is there an Austrian equivalent of UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Patrick Houghton 10 Nov 2020

Hi, 

I have recently moved to Austria and i'm looking for a web site that is the local equivalent of ukc. The best that i can find is bergsteigen.com but its still not as comprehensive as this. Any advice or ideas would be greatly received. 

Patrick

pec 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Patrick Houghton:

Not sure what you want, route info, news or forums?

This site has some info on climbing areas in various disciplines and topos etc if you click around but eventually you'll need to be able to read German. But then if you've moved to Austria you probably can already!

https://www.climbers-paradise.com/en/

MischaHY 11 Nov 2020

I've quested around looking for a forum but haven't found anything as yet. I speak German and there are lots of good resources available but I'm yet to find forums like UKC or Mountain Project. It would be great! 

HeMa 11 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

I'd venture a guess that it's more local in AT, and perhaps by the different OeAV sections.

Also numerous different places for topos (e.g. Climbers Paradise above).

And I'd actually guess, that Germany might be similar.

James Oakes 11 Nov 2020
In reply to HeMa:

Also live in Austria. I find Bergsetigen and thecrag pretty useful for topos, you can get an amazing amount of topos for free. On the other hand the functionality of UKC is pretty hard to beat in my opinion.

I dont really use UKC for the forums so cant comment on that.

tjekel 11 Nov 2020

There is no equivalent to UKC sadly. You have the forums, we have the mountains

But there is quite a few expats and Austrians on UKC who may be of help. Second james opinion on the bergsteigen.com & thecrag, for more specific help, feel free to PM. 

freeflyer 11 Nov 2020
In reply to pec:

>  you'll need to be able to read German.

Nicht wahr! I can't do more than butcher a few words of Swiss German but online at least, Google Translate / Chrome is your saviour. When following popular alpine events (for example the X-Alps) I also follow a German forum as they have a load of local experts on there. Chrome says do you want to translate this page and thereafter Translate just displays the page in English by magic known only to them.

I've not tried posting (eek) but I do use GT to supply a translated version of accommodation bookings and the like in places where English may not be understood.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...