UKC

Kaly ROCKFAX guide & route renaming

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tjekel 24 Aug 2018

Difficult to start ... after the appearance of the rockfax guidebook to the island, at least one industrious equipper known to behave as if the island - or at least the rocks of the island - were his personal posession, started renaming his own routes, supposedly to support the local guide and make the rockfax guide unusable. So at several sectors, what you find at the rock is not what you find in the book. Be warned, the Glaros update will give you more information.

I'm not going to be drawn into siding with one of the standpoints, but it is a very interesting conflict between a foreign guidebook company / author and an equipper foreign to the island.

Or in other words - a conflict between climbing migrants from the west.

In reply to tjekel:

Thanks for this. We are aware of this curious action. I believe it is only for a few routes in the Couer d'Armeos area or near there. If you have any better information then that would be great.

We will be updating the app once the dust has settled on this, with the new names.

Alan

GridNorth 24 Aug 2018
In reply to tjekel:

The locals are, on the face of it, very friendly people but the extent of their jealousy when it comes to competing businesses operated by outsiders is, to say the least, extreme.  A good friend operated a business there and she said there was a Kalymnos Mafia in operation and I think she may have had a point.  Several businesses have or are in the process of closing down because of the extreme intimidation they have suffered.  I have first hand knowledge of three such cases and had direct, close, personal involvement with one.  In one instance violence in the form of explosives was used.  Don't be fooled by their apparent friendliness, they can be vicious.

Al

OP tjekel 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

I think, Steve and Sue @Glaros are the best bet to collect that information, and have put it into their update. And probably, it is also best to send guidebook users there, i've less than their information.

@gridnorth, as a frequent visitor, I am very aware of this. However, this is a conflict between a Frenchmen and citizens of the UK.

Post edited at 13:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...