UKC

Kalymnos Ferries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mcdougal 15 Oct 2020

Hi all, 
I'm thinking of taking a chance and booking a trip to Kalymnos early next year. Can anyone tell me where I can find out when the ferry starts running? I've just wasted 20-odd minutes and I'm none the wiser.
Cheers.

ebdon 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mcdougal:

As far as I understand the timetable changes regularly and is only released a month or so in advance so you arnt going to get a timetable for next year. The most up to date info is on the climb Kalymnos website.

Saying that I think theres a pretty regular service all year round, I'm sure some regulars can confirm/deny 

Ps want to buy a 2010 guidebook?

Post edited at 08:52
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mcdougal:

The ferries run all year - that's how the locals get about. In the winter there is a reduced schedule, but there are always at least three boats a day. The schedules are generally not published until the start of the period they cover,

Chris

OP mcdougal 15 Oct 2020
In reply to ebdon: and Chris Craggs

Cheers both. I'm about to book flights and, while I'm sure that great holidays can be had on Kos, it would probably make me unhappy to be stuck there...

ebdon 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mcdougal:

Enjoy, I just got back and my only regret is we didn't stay twice as long!

OP mcdougal 15 Oct 2020
In reply to ebdon:

I've already got a guide, ta. I've been to Kalymnos before, but always with people who knew their way around. I'll be the grown-up this time. Gulp.

Andy Chubb 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mcdougal:

Ferry timetable available via the Kalymnos Climbing Facebook Group

mik82 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mcdougal:

The latest ferry timetable is usually available on the climbkalymnos site.

https://climbkalymnos.com/

You won't get stuck on Kos (unless the weather is too bad for the ferry to run)

OP mcdougal 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Chubb: & Mik82

Cheers both. Timetables only seem to run until the 31st. I think, as Chris said, that they must only announce sailing times up until the end of the month

Iamgregp 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mik82:

If you do I can speak from experience and confirm that the sun loungers on Mastahari beach make a for a surprisingly good bed.  Bring more than a rope groundsheet for a blanket though.... 

trish1968 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mcdougal:

I've just come back from kalymnos we were almost turned away for the ferry over as it was full but they managed to squeeze us on with others being stuck on Kos. The same happened the week after with loads of people being refused boarding. The timetables changed twice whilst we were there. If you can pre book your ticket do it !!! we did coming back and it was packed. It's limited because. of the covid restrictions.

ebdon 15 Oct 2020
In reply to trish1968:

I was out the same time as you (we may have met at Symplegades) and heard about this from the owner of our accommodation, a local. For some reason the ferry company cancelled one of it's late sailings which caused the problems but after much complaining from the locals they changed the timetables back with an extra sailing and said they were sorry! Such is Greek public transport I think. They said there was reduced capacity on the ferries due to covid but they seemed pretty packed to me.

Either way to the OP i looked into this and i think its nigh on impossible to book tickets in advance but very easy to book the return when your there. Also don't do what me and everybody else did and look at the old timetable in the shabby closed kiosk at the start of the pier and panic, for the fast ferry at least, tickets are sold from the kiosk at the end of the pier.

OP mcdougal 15 Oct 2020
In reply to trish1968:

Good advice, thank you!

In reply to mcdougal:

The new ferry timetable until the end of the month is now on the climb Kalymnos website:

https://climbkalymnos.com/

trish1968 16 Oct 2020
In reply to ebdon:

yes  I think we might have done I think our friends were climbing the same routes as you. We were very lucky I doubt it will be that quiet again.

We heard it was a full football team that was turned away from the ferry. Hopefully they have sorted the ferrys out now wish I was still there oh well next year fingers crossed.

Enjoy Mcdougal

OP mcdougal 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Christheclimber:

Hi Chris, it's Paul. Aren't you there now? Have fun, you lucky so and so! 

In reply to mcdougal:

Hi Paul, I’m flying out tomorrow. Looking forward to the sun and rock. How about you?

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...