UKC

Kalymnos for Bumblies?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 obi-wan nick b 30 Aug 2014
What's Kalymnos like for bumblies? ie are there enough routes in the range F4 - F6

thanks
 John Alcock 30 Aug 2014
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

yes and mostly very well bolted too
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Aug 2014
I consider myself a bumbly nowadays (have been for years some would say) only climbing up to 6b on a good day, and I have done almost 600 different routes on Kalymnos. Plus I am still finding new things to do there. I suspect in may be the most user-friendly venues in Europe for lower grade climbers (and upper grade ones as well),

Chris
Post edited at 16:39
 Rog Wilko 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

What Chris says, plus the grades are softer than most (all?) European venues, so there are even more things you can throw yourself at than a casual glance at the guidebook would suggest. It's the only place where I would do 6a and 6a+ as a matter of course.
In reply to all: Thanks all - sounds ideal

In reply to Rog Wilko:

> What Chris says, plus the grades are softer than most (all?) European venues, so there are even more things you can throw yourself at than a casual glance at the guidebook would suggest. It's the only place where I would do 6a and 6a+ as a matter of course.

I didn't want to mention the soft grades but you are absolutely correct - I would say they were are to two notches down on other most other venues,

Chris

What sort of percentage of a full grade is a "notch"!!!?

A "notch" is a full grade,

Chris
 jon 30 Aug 2014

Ooooh you'll be in trouble. They won't let you in again.
 carl dawson 30 Aug 2014
Chris is quite right: the easier grades are 'encouraging' grades.

In reply to carl dawson:

> Chris is quite right: the easier grades are 'encouraging' grades.

Come on, they all all soft touches right across the board (rumour has it),

Chris

Chris the Tall 30 Aug 2014

> Come on, they all all soft touches right across the board (rumour has it),

Not so, the 6c's and 6c+'s are dead accurate. It's just 6b and below, and 7a and above that are soft touches
 full stottie 30 Aug 2014

You guys have just destroyed my self-esteem. I was going so well last time there.
In reply to full stottie:

> You guys have just destroyed my self-esteem. I was going so well last time there.

Exactly! (Me too by the way)

Chris

GridNorth 31 Aug 2014

I must be crap at judging grades. I've climbed loads there from 5 to 6c and never found it particularly easy compared to other areas. I found Costa Daurada hard and some of the crags in France vary from soft touches to tough for the grade. Is Kalymnos really any different?
 HB1 31 Aug 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

I found Costa Daurada hard and some of the crags in France vary from soft touches to tough for the grade. Is Kalymnos really any different?

I don't think it is, but I must say I climb many more routes in Kaly (last time I counted 60 in 10 days climbing) than I do when we go to other countries so it's likely that the climbs become easier with familiarity with the style, plus the ideal climbing conditions etc. I manage upto 6b+ there and 6b tops at most other venues, including UK, so I wouldn't say there was all that much difference. At the grade I find all outside climbs a tad easier than the equivalent indoor grade at my local (Awesome Stockport). The short answer is yes - more-than-plenty to go for at F4-F6. Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...