UKC

Kos to Kalymnos 16 April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sheffieldchris 24 Mar 2023

bit of a slip up on our part who would have known the 16th of April was a Sunday the ferries did not run after 12.45, every other one they do!!!!!!!!!

Anyway does anyone know of a way to get to the island, we are a 4 and are looking at a taxi boat, which are not cheap but slightly better than the options of staying an extra night in Kos and getting the ferry the next day.

Also if anyone is in the same bind be happy to split the cost of the taxi with you. 

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Mar 2023
In reply to sheffieldchris:

Not sure where you are getting your info from but there are currently five ferries to Kaly on a Sunday, there may be more in April 

Chris

In reply to Chris Craggs:

that's exactly the info I had for every Sunday apart from the 16th of April, look on the ferry companies web site

I am as baffled as you

mik82 24 Mar 2023

> that's exactly the info I had for every Sunday apart from the 16th of April, look on the ferry companies web site

> I am as baffled as you

16th April is Orthodox Easter

They'll be busy throwing dynamite everywhere

Yeah, you managed to book your flights on their Easter Sunday. They go a bit mad and throw sticks of dynamite off the mountains, it's great fun to watch but does mean everything kinda halts on the island. IIRC when I was there, even the hospital was closed that weekend. 

Anyways, what time you arriving? 

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Mar 2023

Ah, I had assumed Greek Easter was the same as ours this year, my mistake.

Might be worth checking the catamaran (Dodecanese Ferries) from Kos town we have used that a few times when it has been windy.

Chris

In reply to GripsterMoustache:

Hi we land in Kos at 13.20 sounds like it is going to be a wipe out day, we had hoped to get a car, sort out food shopping and settle into villa to start climbing Monday. That is looking a pipe dream at the moment

Ah man, so annoying that you just miss it. As Chris said, check the timetable from Kos town. They might have one.

And did you check both ferry timetables from Mastihari? There's a fast and a slow ferry. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/kalymnosclimbing

Also, ask your question on there. Lots of people who are in Kaly every year, or live on the island, frequent that group. They might know a way over on Easter sunday. 

rurp 25 Mar 2023

We travelled on Orthodox Easter Sunday one year. No ferries at all but a guy turned up with a boat. He looked a bit shifty/worried. Lots of people piled on , though no locals. The boat felt a bit overloaded. As we came towards Kalymnos there was lots of worried chatting in Greek. Then he said ‘ everyone has to get off quick , the harbour police are coming’. He diverted to the oil storage quay south of the main port at Kalymnos. We all piled out and about 2 mins later about 20 taxis turned up….

it was quite exciting, no one got arrested I could see but I don’t think that boat would be on the timetable!!!

I suspect if there are enough people and euros then a local ‘ entrepreneur’ will find a way . 

Good luck. Maybe pack a boyancy aid..

> Hi we land in Kos at 13.20 sounds like it is going to be a wipe out day, we had hoped to get a car, sort out food shopping and settle into villa to start climbing Monday. That is looking a pipe dream at the moment

I had a look at the Dodecanese Express website (Kos Town to Photia) - that gets in at 12:45 too. I'm guessing with all the dynamite madness the harbour is closed for the afternoon,

Chris

Godwin 25 Mar 2023

A boat will arrive. My first trip to Kaly was in a small fishing boat in gale force winds when the ferries would not run. Someone with an eye to a Euro will arrive, do not stress, just chill and drink Mythos.

mike123 25 Mar 2023
In reply to sheffieldchris: don’t underestimate the power of Easter to mess with your plans . Anybody who s been caught out by it when travelling or living in a devout country will agree with this . There is a good chance that  somebody will turn up to take you over , there is an equally good chance that they won’t . I’d it was me I would pre book sone cheap accommodation on kos  with the hope  that I wasn’t going to use it . I d try to get over to kaly for a few hours and then at about dinner time I’d accept defeat , check into to my accommodation , go out for dinner , not get to messed up , get up early and get the first  boat , dump gear , climb , worry about practicalities in the evening . 

In reply to mike123:

Exactly what I would do, get a cheap pad in Mastichari, have a beach walk, a meal and a few beers in Kalikadia, 07:00 ferry and easily on the rock by 12:00,

Chris

And if you want a recommendation for somewhere to stay near the port, I stayed at Ilios and Irene. 

Got given a load of free ouzo when we arrived, and in the morning the guy at the front desk bundled all our bags into his car and drove to the end of the dock haha. 

Don't think it cost much at all for the one night either. 

SallyH 08 Apr 2023

Hi Chris, I've just had exactly the same search..we're also arriving at 1.20 on 16th (3 of us) and have a hotel booked in Pothia that night 😬 I just went to book the 4.30pm ferry but its not there.  So if you do find a solution I'd be very happy to hear about it (and vice versa).  Looks like we're in the same boat..and I'm hoping that quite literally!! 🙏

Adrian_J_Hill 09 Apr 2023
In reply to SallyH:

The ferry timetable has been updated on climb kalymnos - shows a few ferries for 16th, including one at 20:00 from Mastichari. Good luck!

SallyH 10 Apr 2023

Yes I've been investigating and the information I now have is the slow ferry ANEM is not running but the fast ferry ANEK Dolphin is running.. the reason they show nothing available when you click on the date is because they only show bookings a day ahead so I think we going to be ok 🙏 😁. 

HB1 10 Apr 2023
In reply to GripsterMoustache:

I second that suggestion - it takes away all the worry late evening. Good place!

Paul Sagar 10 Apr 2023

If you get the 8am or 9am (depending on when it is now) ferry on Monday morning you can easily be climbing by Monday afternoon. We did exactly this last weekend. It’s honestly not a problem, just stay in the cheap hotel an 8 minute walk from the port with all the other climbers doing the exact same thing as you. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...