UKC

La Demande, Verdon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kp1 24 May 2023

Hi,

Just a heads up for anyone planning on doing La Demande in the next few months. There are a couple of nesting vultures on the route so climbers have been asked to stay off the route until the end of August. 
I was there a few days ago and there’s a sign at the bottom of the route. 

Philb1950 25 May 2023
In reply to kp1:

That’s a bit more impressive than Ring Ouzel restrictions on Stanage.

Michael Hood 25 May 2023
In reply to Philb1950:

> That’s a bit more impressive than Ring Ouzel restrictions on Stanage.

I really hope it doesn't happen but I'm just trying to imagine what might happen to people who ignore the restriction, bit more tricky than getting past nesting fulmars or jackdaws methinks 😁

MischaHY 25 May 2023
In reply to kp1:

To be fair anyone wanting to climb on  Barre de l'Escalès (Verdon) in June/July is mental anyway. It's really grim how hot it can get. 

Heike 25 May 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

> I really hope it doesn't happen but I'm just trying to imagine what might happen to people who ignore the restriction, bit more tricky than getting past nesting fulmars or jackdaws methinks 😁

Hmm, I had to get past a nesting fulmar and it was not pretty....lost my nice climbing trousers as the stink of the fulmar vomit was not coming out...despite every attempt of washing, dousing in other stuff, etc. My son thought it was hilarious! Best memory of the trip...when mum got puked on by a fulmar

jon 25 May 2023
In reply to MischaHY:

> To be fair anyone wanting to climb on  Barre de l'Escalès (Verdon) in June/July is mental anyway. It's really grim how hot it can get. 

Ha ha ha, how times change...

Philb1950 25 May 2023
In reply to jon:

Hi Jon. Yes, like you we only used to go there July to September, as it was my one foreign holiday a year, so how times have changed. Fantastic times, gratis camping at the football field and football and Chez Morel in the evenings. The first time we went there in ‘79, rained off in Cham. Livesey convinced us to visit. A Peak team and Ron and Chris Gibb used to go nearly every night to Escales to rescue a frequently benighted Irish team and top rope them off. Probably my most enjoyable ever rock climbing holiday, as everything to us was so new and the gorge so beautiful.

MischaHY 28 May 2023
In reply to jon:

> Ha ha ha, how times change...

More of a self reflection really because I was climbing there in June 2021! 

It was brutal though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...