Loading Notifications...

Lakes scrambling for kids

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Irk the Purist 29 Jul 2020

Hi all, I've done a search with no luck so would appreciate some local knowledge please.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an achievable peak for a 4 and 7 year old with a bit of easy, safe scrambling or steep rocky paths? As part of the route would be great, but optional bits next to the path also.

In this case, achievable is about 3-400m ascent and under 5 miles car to car. Scrambling just means a bit steep with the need for using small hands. 

If I look online and in books for kids routes I just get a load of flat paths and valley walks. If I look for scrambles it's hard to tell how serious or safe it is for kids and my experience is the approaches can often be quite difficult for little legs. 

Not looking for gnarly! 

Thanks!

Mark Storey 29 Jul 2020
In reply to Irk the Purist:

Hard to beat the scramble up Sour milk gill (Easedale) for kids. All the slightly harder stuff is avoidable and there is small pool to swim in 3/4 of the way.

A little walk to the top of Belles Knot adds a mini peak to the trip.

mattyP 29 Jul 2020

Side pike above langdale. All grade one, lots of little sections and nothing gnarly. 

Id recommend the 2 cicerone guides as a good starting point.

Tom the tall 29 Jul 2020

Catbells from the north end is perfect for this. 

nickcj 29 Jul 2020

Cat Bells could be considered scrambly, as the path goes over some steeper, rocky terrain!

Pike of Blisco has loads of rocky bluffs to play on and link up to the summit. Walking in from Wrynose would make it achievable for your kids.

The Bell above Coniston is another option to consider.

alan moore 29 Jul 2020

Second Side Pike and The Bell. My kids enjoyed them both, difficulties all very avoidable.

jdh90 29 Jul 2020

My first peak was Loughrigg at about 10 years old on a school residential.  It doesn't tick your scrambling requirement other than a few metres worth on the right path.  Great panorama from the top though, a spooky cave to visit and ducks on Grasmere lakeshore.

Tom's suggestion of Cat Bells seems a good one, I've always overlooked it myself but my novice friends called it a scramble without being terrified, which I take to mean it must get a bit rough whilst remaining fairly safe.

I also enjoyed Sour Milk Gill in my early teens, but it was a soggy walk down after I slipped and fell in.

C Witter 29 Jul 2020

A few ideas:

Loughrigg has a little bit of added interest, actually: there's Rydal Water and Grasmere to paddle in; there are some boulders here and there that provide very easy "scrambling"; and a cave with stepping stones. That's even before a walk to the top. Ideal!

Castle Crag (Borrowdale) is a brilliant little "bonsai mountain" with a stream, hill, "scree", a slate quarry and a few rocky bits on the summit. Very popular with families.

Catbells from the North - already mentioned.

Latrigg is popular, though I'm not sure why.

Place Fell - pretty hill, bit of rock near the top, lake at the bottom. Or walk north along the E side of Ullswater from Patterdale. Really great path with some decent rocky bits at various points, woods, waterfalls, streams.

Walking up beside Sour Milk Gill then playing on the slabs and in the pools at the top.

Helm Crag (some scrambly options at the top)

Yewbarrow circuit (if they're reasonably confident) - 600 with a scrambly path up, parking and lake

Little Langdale, perhaps from Tarn Hows, with stops to explore Cathedral Quarry and Hodge Close (no real scrambling, but caves and streams).

Buttermere walk, with lake paddling (no scrambling).

Walla Crag maybe?

Warton (hill) or Silverdale coast? But, check for ticks afterward.

My friend has also been getting his kid into it through some badges. I think these might be the ones: https://www.conquerlakedistrict.co.uk/product-category/patches/

Good luck!

Post edited at 13:51
 mattyP 29 Jul 2020
In reply to C Witter: yew barrow is a good shout. My daughter did it at the age of 3 but needed carrying for a lot of the descent due to being wrecked from the ascent!

Irk the Purist 29 Jul 2020

Thanks everyone! We did Cat Bells today (massive circus) but it was exactly what I was after. I'll be seeking some less popular peaks for the rest of the week! Lots of cars getting fixed penalty notices on the road BTW.

Some good ideas here, others welcome! Looking for a big day on Friday as the forecast is good! 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.